Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

me again

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

hi mate, as soon as payday comes i will get another caddy and we'll see what happens after that..i'll keep in touch  :spoton:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:  :rockon:

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts

To put my 2 cents in, I concur that it sounds more like an enclosure issue due to the disk management freezing and your mouse/ pad issues,.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

sorry its been so long, a million things to do and no time to do them..

tried a new enclosure with the drive and still no joy..it comes up as "drive f "...double click to open it and after 10 minutes it says " drive f unaccessible..parameter is incorrect"

any ideas would be gratefully received

thanks all

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Not a problem.   I no longer go to work, and there are still not enough hours in the day.

A live Linux CD should be your first action to try and recovery Data, and if no go, chkdsk.

Warning, this may temporary "fix" the drive, but could also corrupt the Data, In the Run box, copy and paste chkdsk /F /R /X F 

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

erm...whats a live linux cd ????

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

tried downloading a linux iso to my stick...huge fail

tried the checkdisc thing too....it does nothing

:upset:  :upset:  :upset:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You may not have made the USB bootable. Here is a complete Tutorial, scroll down to the creating USB part.

Try running ntsffix  (note, after it has run and you boot to windows, a full chckdsk will be run)

https://www.winhelp....uppy-linux.html

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

ok...i had to make a cd in the end, no boot from usb option...tried to mount the drive in puppy linux and no joy...also tried the checkdisk thingy and no joy there either..is it time to give up and drop kick it out the window now ??

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

tried to mount the drive in puppy linux and no joy

what error message did it give?

must admit tho. it does sound like the drive as had it.

:popcorn:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Been a while since we heard from you.   Have you been able to get a new drive and install the OS?

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

hi, i have tried everything suggested and have had no joy...i came to the conclusion that the drive was fubard ...im at a loss as to what to do now  :smashcomp:

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Having looked through this thread I would also say that the drive is no good, however two things still not tried, but definitely not guaranteed to work and have only done so on rare occasions.

The first is the freezer, wrap the drive in a polythene bag, nice and tightly to prevent condensation getting inside, use self adhesive tape to seal it, then place it in the freezer for at least twelve hours. After that be as quick as possible to get it connected and see if it can then be accessed while still in a frozen condition.

if that doesn't work, a good sharp tap on the case, just might jolt a stuck read/write head into moving, or even make a bad connection for a short time.

If neither of those work now, it is definitely scrap metal and plastic.

Nev.