Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Games crash when i try to open them and they also crash sound driver

• Please log in to reply

Ren12

Ren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

disk check kinda takes forever i will run it before i go to sleep. Most of them are movies anyways which isn't that big of a deal for me but there are a bunch of pictures and music which I do care for. And yeah I can understand how it could unintentionally delete them now. 

Should I run FRST scan once I uninstall those programs?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Best to wait until the disk check finishes before uninstalling anything more.  When it does finish look in the C:\ and see if you have any recovered folders.  See:

https://www.raymond....k-and-scandisk/

After the uninstall it would be a good idea to run FRST.  

Ren12

Ren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

does it matter which one i use from the ones provided in your link?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Not really. First it has to find the files then we see if we can somehow use them. I haven't tested any of the programs so watch out for adware

Ren12

Ren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

oops, probably a good idea to  let me know beforehand if it has any adware. Although, i didnt download it. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The first one is clean.  It does require the VB5 Runtimes program first which had to be installed in compatibility mode but seems to work.  Don't have any found files for it to look at.

Ren12

Ren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

What does the disc check do exactly? There is no difference after. Must have run the disc check  5 times by now. 

Edited by Ren12, 09 February 2015 - 04:06 PM.

Ren12

Ren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I'm kinda of wary of running the program. I don't really like that I have to download another file and my computer is pretty messed up now as it is. is there any better way without downloading anything. 

Combofix is scary  isn't it. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Get Western Digital's   

• Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

http://support.wdc.c...8&sid=3&lang=en

It will do a factory (extended) test on the hard drive.

EXTENDED TEST: For most computers, the WinDLG Extended Test requires between 30 minutes to multiple hours to test one drive. Larger drives take longer to test. The performance of the computer also affects the test time. This is a non-destructive test except when the repair function is selected when bad sectors are detected. 

More like several hours to all night since your drive is so big.Usually if it finds something it can fix it will ask you if you want it to try to fix it.  If there are bad sectors then we want to fix them.

Ren12

Ren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

ill try the diagnostics for windows. 

As for recovering files I'm looking for something more reputable than the list. For future reference, refrain from unreputable website that you're not sure if the programs even work, without having them tested yourself. 

Advertisements

Ren12

Ren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

. This is a non-destructive test except when the repair function is selected when bad sectors are detected. "

what?. Should I do repair when a bad sector is detected?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

yes

Ren12

Ren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

i cant run the program. says dldg has stopped working and windows is checking for a solution. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

See if you can get the DOS version to work:

http://support.wdc.c...8&sid=2&lang=en

Ren12

Ren12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

It feels like it's really difficult for any files to be recovered at this moment especially since if the disk has been royally damaged.

It could also be the case that combofix might have really deleted everything with the script you gave me, not saying it was intended but it happened after combofix.