Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Generic Trojan and Multiple Processes [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

newworldmike1

newworldmike1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Ok

• Uninstalled ESET
  • Upgraded to MalwareBytes Premium and set up scheduled scans
  • I found where I could delete the Java Updater, but I did not see any selections for deleting Java itself.  I am still showing Java files in various locations, but it does not show up in the Control Panel.
  • Updated AVG and set up scheduled scans
  • Installed Unchecky.

Thank you very much for your help.

I was wondering if there was any way of telling how long these infections had been present on my machine and if they had come from a download or a website.

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Thank you very much for your help.

You're quite welcome, it was my pleasure. :)

I was wondering if there was any way of telling how long these infections had been present on my machine and if they had come from a download or a website.

Some times, yes, there is a way to tell how long the infection has been on a machine. Some times we can tell by the dates of the infected files, but in this case, with Poweliks, that doesn't work. Poweliks is a registry based malware only. There are no infected files associated with it. It also opens a backdoor and downloads other infections to the machines if left in place long enough. That's where the Zero Access infection came from, Poweliks downloaded it to your machine.

As for whether it came from a download or a website, no real way to know that either. About 2 months ago we saw a massive wave of Poweliks infected machines. Users reported problems after downloading files with P2P programs, and some others reported it just started happening out of the blue. The only way they knew they were infected was their machine started performing poorly.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.