Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing larger C drive

hard drive install c drive full

• Please log in to reply

christieb18

christieb18

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi all,

Currently I only have 30gb SSD for my C drive. I didn't know at the time that this would eventually fill up with windows updates and what not. I just wanted a small SSD to boot my computer quick, Now my C drive is almost completely full and I am running into problems. Currently, there are only windows files and whatever else is normally installed on a C drive. I install all my games on another SDD and all my other programs on a 1TB HDD. 

I bought a new hard drive, a 120gb SSD to replace this 30gb one. I need help on how to go about installing this hard drive the most efficient way possible. Is there a way to copy all my stuff from my current C drive onto this new drive and have it be called C so I don't have to install windows again? 

Thanks for the help!

Christie

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   christieb18,

You can create an exact image on the new SSD of the data on the present SSD using Macrium Reflect (free) which you can download from here

Once you have the image on the new SSD remove the present SSD (store it somewhere safe as your back up) and the new one will then be automatically allocated the drive letter C: by Windows.

NB: What brand is the new SSD, I ask as most provide migration software to do the exact same thing as above.

christieb18

christieb18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for the reply, phillpower2!

I dont have any Cds around so I just did a clean install of windows on the new hard drive. I have come up with some problems.

One out of my two monitors are not being recognized. The one connect with hdmi is not recognized. The one with the vga cable is.

My usb ports that are blue (3.0?) are not being recognized.

I am hardwired through an ethernet cable and thats not being recognized.

My 1tb HDD isnt showing up. My SSD is showing up though.

If you can help with these problems, i would greatly appreciate it!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not sure what you need CDs for!

Once you installed Windows to the new SSD did you then install the drivers for the motherboard and starting with the chipset drivers first.

Its getting late here and I have an early start in the morning so going offline now, will check back after work tomorrow.

You are welcome btw  :)

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Make sure you install GPU drivers as well as that may be the cause of the second monitor not functioning.

christieb18

christieb18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Yeah I realized all my drivers not being installed are causing the problems. The thing is, I dont have the CDs with me from recently moving and I dont have a flash drive to install them on from another computer.

i do have my old ssd and new ssd plugged in. Is there a way to transfer these files from the old hard drive to the new one? Or do I absolutely need the installers.

EDIT: I moved my post here http://www.geekstogo...erring-drivers/ because my new problems with drivers are no longer pertaining to this section of the forum.

Edited by christieb18, 04 January 2015 - 06:27 PM.