Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection help needed

• Please log in to reply

danimal302

danimal302

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi all,

Great site!  I need some help.  My mother in law is retired and on a limited income.  We got her a tablet for Christmas to keep her occupied during the winter months.  She has no internet and can't afford it.  We live across a pasture ( 200 yds) from her house and would like to share our secure wireless network with her.  I have looked into this and am lost.  I have seen some of the long range antennas, but don't know if that is needed.   I do know that our signal does not reach her house currently.  

What would you recommend to get her a wireless signal off of our network?  

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Dan

Advertisements

anthonybugg

anthonybugg

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

You realize even if you do, the internet will be extremely slow... If you really want to get what you want and spend less money, I would suggest getting a extremely long Ethernet cable. That sounds sorta dumb but a pastor should have fences right? Just tape the cable could with electrical and water resistant duct tape and you should be good :) Sounds a bit retarded but may work >D

danimal302

danimal302

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Anthonybugg- Never considered that.  I read about people accessing open networks miles away with a long range antenna, though.  Wouldn't this be similar to that?  Thanks for the input.

anthonybugg

anthonybugg

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Anthonybugg- Never considered that.  I read about people accessing open networks miles away with a long range antenna, though.  Wouldn't this be similar to that?  Thanks for the input.

Yes, what you read is probably someone who has is hacking WiFi networks with a huge keyword database with multiple attack methods to do a variety of attacks. Honestly, you can do this but it will be extremely slow and it will cut out constantly, but with a enthernet cable no cut outs, and it is connected directly through the router.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be perfectly honest anthonybugg, i think your offering bad advice, for starters you can not legally run a cat 6 cable across other peoples property, besides the legal aspect tho there are numerous other factors that need to be taken into account, run length, weather protection, etc etc.

yes i think the best course of action is a directional antenna, and no idea why you think the speeds are going to be that slow either. i think you need to go and read up on extending wifi networks.

to danimal302 yes what you want is possible, sorry never set up a long range wifi network myself but know of at least 1 person on a forum i use who did with excellent results but don't know exactly what equipment he used or where he got it from.

maybe something like this :- http://www.ccrane.co...S050900DX000000

:popcorn:

anthonybugg

anthonybugg

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

to be perfectly honest anthonybugg, i think your offering bad advice, for starters you can not legally run a cat 6 cable across other peoples property, besides the legal aspect tho there are numerous other factors that need to be taken into account, run length, weather protection, etc etc.

yes i think the best course of action is a directional antenna, and no idea why you think the speeds are going to be that slow either. i think you need to go and read up on extending wifi networks.

to danimal302 yes what you want is possible, sorry never set up a long range wifi network myself but know of at least 1 person on a forum i use who did with excellent results but don't know exactly what equipment he used or where he got it from.

maybe something like this :- http://www.ccrane.co...S050900DX000000

You don't know how their property is set out, so don't try to say I am offering bad advice, second of all that's why I said a LONG one, I am not telling him to get a 2 foot cable... Again, getting a antenna would get extremely low speeds, and will be costly. Trust me, I've had 10 I have used so far.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

do you actually know anything about networking and electrical connections? you can't just run a LONG cable and expect it to work besides that you have other things to consider like weather protection, etc etc. so yes in my opinion you are most definitely offering bad advice whether you agree with me or not.

eg. secure it with duct tape. :rofl:

no idea what 10 antenna's you had that didn't work, but you obviously either didn't set them up correctly or were using under powered/wrong equipment for the distance.

24Mbps is not a slow wifi connection it is more than capable of streaming hd video content and can't think of anything more demanding a user may want than that, in fact 24Mbps is faster than my dsl connection.