Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

switchable graphics driver instability

• Please log in to reply

Shikaka

Shikaka

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

A short while back after Windows installed some critical automatic updates I noticed that I was getting much lower frame rates when playing certain games. This prompted me to update my graphics card driver (ATI radeon 6600m/6700m series) using AMD's auto detect Catalyst install manager, which I think was a mistake. Since then I've been having more serious problems with intermittent crashing to black screens followed by "AMD display driver stopped responding and has recovered" messages, or simply crashing with no option but for me to manually restart the computer by holding the power button. Sometimes Windows would freeze when starting up (before reaching the log in screen) when switching the computer back on after this. I also noticed a tendency to crash a short time after pulling the power cable out of my laptop when charging.

I suspected this was a problem with improperly installed display drivers, and so have tried uninstalling and reinstalling them, however I don't think I've managed to do this quite properly. My computer has switichable graphics, so it also has an Intel HD graphics 3000 listed under the display adapters in the device manager as well as the ATI Radeon 6600m and 6700m series. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for both these devices. At the moment, my computer recognises and uses both display adapters and seems to be a bit more stable, though still suffers from low frame rates and glitching when playing games. I've also noticed that when logging on after waking my laptop from sleep, the screen freezes for a good 15 seconds after entering my password and hitting enter before I see my desktop and it becomes responsive again.

I have a Samsung Chronos 700z5a notebook running Windows 7.

Any help will be very much appreciated

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

So far I have only deal with switchable graphics on HP machines and confirmed that you can't update the drivers independently because it gives all kinds of troubles. HP usually provides a package to install the driver for the AMD graphic card and at the same time for the Intel graphics.

I know this sucks when we want to update the drivers because usually after some time the manufactures stop putting new drivers on their website in your case the drivers here are from 2012!

In case you want to complete remove the drivers and start over use Display Driver Uninstaller, the exe will only extract the program you have to run Display Driver Uninstaller and select to uninstall both drivers.