Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor stopped working on one computer

• Please log in to reply

mwrmw9

mwrmw9

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I have two Win 7 computers, one a desktop and one a notebook. I had the monitor connected to the desktop and all was well until this morning when I left the computer long enough that it turned off the monitor (that's how I have it set). But the monitor wouldn't turn back on; the yellow no-signal light stayed on instead of turning to green. I turned the computer off then on but that didn't fix it. Here are the trouble shooting results:

- The monitor (and cable) works on the notebook.

- The desktop drives another monitor (in the shop where I bought the computer) just fine, using the same connector in the desktop.

- I replaced the monitor cable with another one. The monitor still gets no signal from the desktop, and also works fine on the notebook.

I'm running out of ideas...

Advertisements

mchain

mchain

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

I'd troubleshoot the desktop video card using the second setup in the shop using the second monitor that works and see if it is a case where it no longer recognizes or sees the original monitor you're having issues with.

Your desktop system specs?  If provided, I can look and attach the relevant info in my next reply.  Are you using a third-party (discrete) video card or onboard?  What PSU (Power Supply Unit) is installed if a third-party card is in place?  PSU's are known to have their total wattage capacity diminish over time as they age.

mwrmw9

mwrmw9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'd troubleshoot the desktop video card using the second setup in the shop using the second monitor that works and see if it is a case where it no longer recognizes or sees the original monitor you're having issues with.

Your desktop system specs?  If provided, I can look and attach the relevant info in my next reply.  Are you using a third-party (discrete) video card or onboard?  What PSU (Power Supply Unit) is installed if a third-party card is in place?  PSU's are known to have their total wattage capacity diminish over time as they age.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Problem is that the specs are not available to me since I can't view anyting on that desktop domputer. If I haven't solved it by Monday morning, I'll take the desktop and monitor into the shop that I bought the desktop from last month; it's a very reputble refurb shop and they build it up from parts.

mwrmw9

mwrmw9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

How would the shop, using the "new" monitor, determine if the video card recognizes or sees the original monitor (that's not connected)?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Does that computer have a graphics card?

Is the monitor that doesn't work connected to it?

Is there a video connection on the mother board?

If so connect the monitor to that.

Do you have another monitor you can use.

Basicly, it looks like a driver issue/ video card issue.

Can you get in to safe mode? Safe mode loads default drivers.

mwrmw9

mwrmw9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Does that computer have a graphics card?

- Yes

Is the monitor that doesn't work connected to it?

- Not sure what yuo mean. The monitor is connected to he computer whht its cable, same as always.

Is there a video connection on the mother board?

- Don't know about the mother board.

Do you have another monitor you can use.

- No. The shop wher I bought the computer, and where I'll take ot tomorrow, has monitors and at least one of theirs works with that computer.

Basicly, it looks like a driver issue/ video card issue.

Can you get in to safe mode? Safe mode loads default drivers.

- Hmm, haven't tried. I might try that or just wait until  tomorrow and have the shop techs do it.

mwrmw9

mwrmw9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

This morning I took the computer and monitor and cable to the shop where I bought the computer (not the monitor; I had that) a month ago. The tech that built the computer tested it and found the same behavior. He then noticed that my monitor cable was connected to the computer via an adapter, and suggested switching cable types to one that didn't requjire an adapter and plugged into a different connector on the computer. He did that and low and behold it worked. Why did it work for a month with the original cable and then stop workiong? He said he would have liked to have figured that out but he didn't. Who knows... Anyway, it's all back working.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Possibly a poor connection inside the adapter is all I can say. These connections are quite often just crimped together, if not tight enough, air and general humidity can cause a layer of oxide which will basically make an insulating layer inside the connection over time. Meaning it is OK at first, then some time later it just doesn't conduct any more.

Nev.