Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound From Speakers (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Can you do a System Restore to 2-3 days ago, when the speakers were still working fine?

Advertisements

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Well, not really.  As per this link http://www.geekstogo...-boot-resolved/ I was unable to start my computer properly.  It kept on rebooting.  Phillpower2 solved it.  I ended up doing a Windows XP repair after lots of troubleshooting.  From that time on (about a week ago) the sound problem has been present.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I'll send him a message asking if he can take a look at this thread. He assisted you in your other one, so he knows exactly what have been done on the system. Maybe he'll be able to pinpoint it quickly and assist you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Is the onboard audio chip set as the default device - right-click the audio icon in the System Tray - "playback devices" - see if "Realtek" is it set as the default.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I have two audio related icons in the System Tray: the Realtek Audio Manager and the Speaker icon.  The Realtek icon doesn't show "playback devices" or have any provision to set it as the default player.  When I right-click on the speaker icon, a Sounds and Audio Devices Properties panel opens up. I then selected the Audio tab where it showed that Realtek HD Audio output was the default device for Sound playback.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

As a quick check can you try connecting the speakers to the black port on the rear of the case and let us know if there is any change.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

No change.  I tried all the rear audio ports.  Nothing.  Except as mentioned before, a very faint sound of whatever is playing (music, movie dialogue, etc.) when connected to the green line out port.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for the late reply but not been around due to work commitments :(

Can you check the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs.

Two further checks;

Click on Start.
Click on Control panel > click on Sound > Playback tab click on the speakers then click on properties.
Click on Level tab to see if the rear input is set to mute, if it is uncheck it, select the level to 100% and test.

If still no joy try disabling enhancements to see if that helps.

To disable enhancements:
1.     Access Control Panel
2.     Click Sound
3.     Select Playback tab
4.     Select Speakers/Headphones entry
5.     Click Properties
6.     Select Enhancements Tab
7.     Disable all enhancements

Please create a new restore point before doing the above steps.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Phillpower2, no apologies needed!  I understand all about work commitments.

1. Every item checked in Device Manager.  No yellow ! or red Xs.
  2. Control Panel> Sound> There is no Playback tab for speakers on my setup. However, when I on the speaker icon and select Open Volume Control, a panel opens up (that says Realtek in the bottom right) that shows individual volume control sliders for all audio outputs.  Nothing is selected mute and all sliders are a maximum.
  3. I don't have an enhancements Tab.  The closest is the Realtek Audio Manager which is used for things like Bass Management, audio output configuration (I have mine set to 2Channel which I have had from day one).  I can't find anything close resembling disable enhancements.

(By the way, I find it interesting that after I did the Windows XP repair, this problem has cropped up.  Another issue that came up - and I mention it only because it may give you a clue as to what is going on - is that I was unable to open up the nVidia Control Panel.  I always got a message saying "NVIDIA Display Panel extension cannot be created."  I never had this problem before.  Anyway, I went into Windows Explore and found the folder used to install the Control Panel.  I reinstalled it and now it works!  As I say, I don't know if that problem is related to the Windows XP repair and the current sound problem, but maybe some things got changed during the repair process.)

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I would like to address the second issue as I think it could help with the main one here. Do you know your graphic card brand and model? Also, are you running Windows XP 32-bits?

Advertisements

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hi Aura,

I have Windows XP 32-bits.  My graphic card is nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You can download and install the following drivers for your graphic card:

http://www.nvidia.co...spx/57493/en-us

These are the latest drivers available for it, and it might install NVIDIA Audio Drivers as well.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

This is the same version that I had found in my Windows Explore that I installed yesterday.  Is there any point in installing it again?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Are you sure that it's the same version? Where do you get that from?

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

The version number is the same.  I don't remember where I got it from.   As I mentioned, I was looking through Windows Explorer and found a folder called NVIDIA.  In the folder were other folders, I guess of previous versions: 191.07, 195.62, 307.83, and two versions that I know I downloaded recently to try and update the drivers: 340.52 and 347.09.  I got the last two from the official nvidia website by entering my graphics card info.  Those versions didn't install as per my previous post #24: "NVIDIA Display Panel extension cannot be created."  But version 307.83 did install.