Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound From Speakers (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

For the problem to be as a result of the XP repair installation it would have to be a Windows issue, this is unlikely as there would also be no sound from the front audio port/s, hardware or a system setting are strong contenders.

Ensuring that your speakers are connected as they normally are, create a new restore point, uninstall any/all audio devices in Device Manager, restart the computer to see if Windows detects and installs any drivers for the device, if it does test then post back with an update for us.

Advertisements

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Update:  When I checked Device Manager and clicked on Sound, Video and Game Controllers, here is what is listed:

• Audio Codecs
  • Legacy Audio Devices
  • Legacy Video Capture Devices
  • Media Control Devices
  • Realtek High Definition Audio
  • Video Codecs

When I right click each one of these, they all have the option to Update Driver.  The exception to this is Realtek HD Audio which has options for Update Driver, Uninstall, Disable, and Roll Back.

I uninstalled Realtek HD Audio driver and rebooted.  Windows detected new hardware and installed the driver.  I tested the speakers on the rear audio port: still no sound.  When the speakers were plugged into the front headphone jack, there was sound.  ( Unfortunately I forgot to create a restore point, but I had one from the day before.)

Edited by Jackpine, 20 January 2015 - 08:36 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Have you checked that the MBs integrated audio chip is enabled in the BIOS

Run and then attach a dxdiag report for us please;

• Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your desktop
  • Attach it to your next post by clicking the Upload a File button

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Test conducted and report attached.  When the test was over, I looked at the main test panel and clicked on the Sound tab.  There was a button to check if I could hear any sounds being played. I clicked it but heard nothing.  Another tab was for Music.  I clicked that one and again tried to hear music being played.  I could, but it wasn't as loud as it should have been even with the volume sliders at max.

Attached File  DxDiag.txt   48.34KB   284 downloads

I checked the BIOS.  It says HD Audio is enabled.

I just had a thought:  The speakers that I have always used on this computer are connected to each other and then there is sort of a Y-connection which is plugged into the 3.5mm jack on the rear audio panel.  The speakers don't have any power supply or volume/tone controls.  They are simply two small boxes.  (By the way, I have confirmed that they work properly when plugged into the headphone jack of my laptop as well as the headphone jack on the front panel of my computer.)

As mentioned in the beginning of this topic, I continue to hear sound from each speaker when they are plugged into the rear green line out port, but very faint - even with the volume control set to max.  My thought is this:  is it possible that something is causing the output from the rear line out jack to provide only enough signal that it functions, but with not enough voltage to actually power the speakers so that the volume is as loud as it once was?  In other words, did something happen so that the line out jack simply cannot provide enough power to fully operate the speakers?

I suppose one way of testing this is to hook up powered speakers and give a listen.  What are your thoughts on this, as well as the DxDiag test?

Edited by Jackpine, 21 January 2015 - 11:52 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Good idea trying the powered speakers  :thumbsup:

After looking at your dxdiag log a question came to mind that I perhaps should have asked earlier  :unsure:

If you connect the speakers to the rear ports as normal and then boot into Windows do you hear the usual log in/Windows sound.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

With the speakers connected to the rear port as normal, and I boot into Windows, I hear a single beep, but it comes from the computer itself.  (There is no Windows sound because I previously disable that.)

Something else: when I go to Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices >Sounds tab and choose an item from the Program Events, such as "Close Program" and "Chimes" for the sound to make for that event, when I test it with the speakers connected to the rear, there is nothing.  When connected to the front, I hear the chimes sound.  (Again, keep in mind that there is sound from the speakers when connected to the rear, but barely audible, even with the volume sliders at max.)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
 (There is no Windows sound because I previously disable that.)

Can you reverse the procedure and then try the test please, we are trying to see if this is a third party driver issue, if the Windows sounds work you know that it is a software issue.

So that we can see what if any other audio drivers are installed run DriverView, save the results as txt and then copy/paste them into your next reply, no install required just unzip and run, details here

Have you checked the BIOS at all to see if there is an option to disable the rear audio ports.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

1. Checked BIOS.  No option to disable rear audio ports.

2. Set Windows logon sound.  With speakers connected to front, I hear a beep and Windows loads with no logon sound.  When I test the sound using Control Panel >Sounds and Audio Devices > Sound tab, I hear the logon sound.

With speakers connected to rear, I also hear a beep, and Windows loads with no logon sound.  Same test as before, I hear the logon sound.

3. Ran DriverView.  Attached text file. Attached File  DriverView.txt   103.38KB   318 downloads

Barry Short

Barry Short

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

I upgraded my DELL XPS M1330 laptop from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium but now my internal speakers are not working.

Can anyone advise on how I can recover my speakers.

Many thanks.

Barry

Edited by Barry Short, 24 January 2015 - 06:14 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Barry, I suggest you to create your own thread for your issue in order to not hijack this one, thank you :)

Advertisements

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hi phillpower2, here is an update.  I connected a pair of powered speakers that my son has to the rear line out jack and they work perfectly, unlike my own non-powered speakers.

What I still don't understand is this:  my old non-powered speakers (confirmed to work when connected to the front headphone jack, but at present not from the rear line out jack) used to work from the rear line out jack.  They were included with an old Compaq Presario computer I had about 12 years ago.  They worked with that system, and more importantly, they worked with my current system - until that is, after the Windows XP repair that you helped me with recently.  (If you recall, after being stored in a closet for about 3 months due to house renovations, after I set everything up again, the computer kept on rebooting endlessly.  An XP repair solved that problem.)  So I wonder if other software changes maybe took place that had nothing to do with the XP repair that prevented the rear line out jack from providing enough power to the speakers - which as I said, did work before the computer was put in storage?  Or maybe something else changed while in storage?

If possible, I would still like to find out if possible why the no longer work on this computer from the rear line out jacks.

Is there any important information from the DriverView file that I provided in post #38?

Edited by Jackpine, 24 January 2015 - 12:39 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The only thing of note in the DriverView file was that you have three different HD audio drivers installed, this is not the problem though as proven by you getting sound from the powered speakers.

If you have the Realtek audio device as the default and the latest drivers installed check to see if you have the loudness equalization option, if you do make sure that the box is ticked/checked, how to here

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

For some reason, when I click on the Realtek icon, I get my motherboard (Asus) audio manager showing on the screen.  Now that I think of it, this has always been the case.  Is there any way to get the "real" Realtek HD Audio Manager panel showing instead?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I dont see any ASUS audio drivers in your log only the ones below;

Driver Name       : audstub.sys
Address           : 0xF7ABB000
End Address       : 0xF7ABC000
Size              : 0x00001000
Load Count        : 1
Index             : 55
File Type         : System Driver
Description       : AudStub Driver
Version           : 5.1.2600.0 (XPClient.010817-1148)
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Modified Date     : 8/17/2001 8:59:44 AM
Created Date      : 6/3/2006 12:51:10 PM
Filename          : C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\audstub.sys
File Attributes   : A
Service Name      : audstub
Service Display Name: Audio Stub Driver
Digital Signature : 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Driver Name       : HDAudBus.sys
Address           : 0xB60A3000
End Address       : 0xB60CB000
Size              : 0x00028000
Index             : 39
File Type         : Sound Driver
Description       : High Definition Audio Bus Driver v1.0a
Version           : 5.10.01.5013 built by: WinDDK
Company           : Windows ® Server 2003 DDK provider
Modified Date     : 4/13/2008 11:36:05 AM
Created Date      : 1/7/2005 4:07:18 PM
Filename          : C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\HDAudBus.sys
Service Name      : HDAudBus
Service Display Name: Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
Digital Signature : 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Driver Name       : redbook.sys
Address           : 0xB876E000
End Address       : 0xB877D000
Size              : 0x0000f000
Index             : 53
File Type         : System Driver
Description       : Redbook Audio Filter Driver
Version           : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
Modified Date     : 4/14/2008 12:10:28 AM
Created Date      : 6/3/2006 12:50:53 PM
Filename          : C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
Service Name      : redbook
Service Display Name: Digital CD Audio Playback Filter Driver
Digital Signature : 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Driver Name       : RtkHDAud.sys
Address           : 0xB36C8000
End Address       : 0xB3C90000
Size              : 0x005c8000
Index             : 73
File Type         : Sound Driver
Description       : Realtek® High Definition Audio Function Driver
Version           : 5.10.0.7111 built by: WinDDK
Company           : Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Product Name      : Realtek® High Definition Audio Function Driver (HRTF data Copyright 1994 by MIT Media Lab)
Modified Date     : 12/10/2013 8:20:44 PM
Created Date      : 6/4/2006 10:59:44 AM
Filename          : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\RtkHDAud.sys
Service Name      : IntcAzAudAddService
Service Display Name: Service for Realtek HD Audio (WDM)
Digital Signature :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Driver Name       : sysaudio.sys
Address           : 0xB26A4000
End Address       : 0xB26B3000
Index             : 127
File Type         : Dynamic Link Library
Description       : System Audio WDM Filter
Modified Date     : 4/14/2008 12:45:56 AM
Created Date      : 8/3/2004 6:15:56 PM
Filename          : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sysaudio.sys
Service Name      : sysaudio
Service Display Name: Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device
Digital Signature : 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driver Name       : sysaudio.sys
Address           : 0xB26A4000
End Address       : 0xB26B3000
Index             : 127
Description       : System Audio WDM Filter
Modified Date     : 4/14/2008 12:45:56 AM
Created Date      : 8/3/2004 6:15:56 PM
Filename          : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sysaudio.sys
Service Name      : sysaudio
Service Display Name: Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device
Digital Signature : 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Driver Name       : wdmaud.sys
Address           : 0xB242F000
End Address       : 0xB2444000
Size              : 0x00015000
Index             : 126
Description       : MMSYSTEM Wave/Midi API mapper
Modified Date     : 4/14/2008 12:47:20 AM
Created Date      : 8/3/2004 6:15:06 PM
Filename          : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdmaud.sys
Service Name      : wdmaud
Service Display Name: Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver
Digital Signature : 

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I took a screenshot of the Asus audio panel and saved it as a png file.  How do I paste it into my next reply?  (I right clicked on it and selected Copy, but when I placed my cursor in the G2G reply box, the paste button was greyed out.