Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System repair disk for Win 7 64bit - OK to make on 32 bit computer?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

All the online advice about this says either nothing about any difference or just says if cannot make on bad computer any other windows machine will do.

Now I want one for my 64 bit machine - I made one on this when I got  it but it doesn't work (got the boot sequence etc, OK). Even a system image won't work (says wrong environment)

So I made a system repair on my Win 7 32 bit and the title it gives says Repair Disk (32 bit)! So will that also work?  I'm trying to get past a password request when I don't have a password - yes perhaps an unusual case.

Any info please - thanks.

Edited by Plutox, 12 January 2015 - 04:03 PM.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi Plutox :)

Considering the fact that 32-bits and 64-bits are two different architecture, I would create a Recovery DVD that matches the version of the Windows OS that you are using. Reason is that Windows 32-bits and Windows 64-bits doesn't use the same files or folders (let's just think about Program Files (x86) and Syswow64) so if you are to use a Windows 32-bits Recovery DVD on a Windows 64-bits (or vice-versa), it will not work, at least, it won't work as intended. You'll need to create a Windows 7 64-bits Recovery for your Windows 7 OS.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Yes thanks for your response.

I have now made a 64 bit disk and although i was unable to deal with the password problem as outlined in other advice it allowed me to access System Restore so restored to a point just before the fingerprint download which caused the problem so now all OK.

However when previously I tried the 32 bit system I did get to that System Restore option but didn't try it then so perhaps at that point it would also have solved my problem - I wonder. Anyway perhaps good I didn't try it.

Edited by Plutox, 13 January 2015 - 10:54 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by the "password request" part (where is the password being asked? what password is it expected?) but if you tell me that using the Windows 7 64-bits DVD to do a System Restore solved your issue, then it's good :)