Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

routers or not

  • Please log in to reply



    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

You'll have to excuse me, I'm a retarted  ---  whoops, make that retired sailor and i guess a computer illiterate with a couple of questions .. first, I've got a dsl desktop, with Netflix in 1 room and my main hd tv in the next room. I was told by Windstream that my dsl connection is considered a router. If that's the case, what else would I need to broadcast movies from my desktop to my tv in the next room?


  • 0





  • Technician
  • 1,645 posts
It is not a router that you need, unless your TV can directly connect to the Internet and display movies, like a SmartTV.

You are trying to make your TV a remote display of your computer.

This is just a couple of examples of a device which you can use to remotely display on a TV, but you need wifi on your computer and a HDMI input on your TV:



You can do a web search for other such devices.
  • 0



    Member 1K

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

this should explain your options (it's for laptops but same thing applies to desktops.) :- http://www.pcmag.com...,2390463,00.asp


maybe a hdmi sender/reciever unit like this is your best option :- http://thewirecutter...eo-transmitter/


personally i've always used the wired option to set up tv's as second monitors, i've been lucky in the placement of my pc equipment to where i wanted the tv to go, so even in other rooms, it's always been just the other side of the wall or directly above or below, so there hasn't been extended cable runs all over the home.


of course another option might be to buy a dedicated small htpc (home theatre personal computer) to use with the tv like these :- https://www.cyberpow...Pages/ZeusHTPC/



Edited by terry1966, 15 January 2015 - 03:39 PM.

  • 0

Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP