Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP - factory settings (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

an8ela

an8ela

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi

I wonder if you can help me.  My pc is old and running Windows XP 2003.  There is only 4.43Gb / 11% free space and is extremely slow.

I have tried to delete things through the add and remove programme to try and free up some space but it is still the same.

I know it is possible to reset to factory default but not sure if this is what I need to do.  I have an MS Windows XP Home Edition reinstallation disk including service pack 1 but I don't have any thing else.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi an8ela :)

If the Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1 disk that you have is the one that came with your computer, then all you have to do is to insert the CD in your computer CD/DVD-ROM, then boot from it and the Factory Reset procedure will be launched. At this point, it'll be a question of clicking on Next, Next, etc. and make one or two choice (like deciding to keep your files or not) and your computer will be Factory Reset. Do you know your computer brand and model? If so, please post them here so I can try to find an appropriate documentation for you to follow to Factory Reset your computer if my explanations aren't clear enough. Also, you should strongly consider backing up your data (personal files, documents, pictures, videos, etc.) before doing a Factory Reset since they'll either be lost in the process or if something happens, they'll be lost as well.

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi

Thank-you for your reply.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 4600.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Angela

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, let's see if by change you would have a Restore partition on your hard drive. Follow the instructions below.

Step 3: Restore the computer's software to original condition

Using PC Restore in Windows XP or Media Center

Notice: Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost.
1 Turn on the computer.

2 When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold < Ctrl > and then press < F11 >. Then, release both keys at the same time.

Note: Some systems like Inspiron Mini 9 (910) do not support System Restore as they do not have < F11 > nor any substitute. If the key strokes are not working or you do not have PC Restore any more.

3 In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press < Tab > to highlight Restore, and then press < Enter >.

4 When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press < Tab > to highlight Confirm and then press < Enter >.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
The system recovery process was successful.

5 Click Finish or press < Tab > to highlight Finish and then press < Enter > to restart the computer.The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

The Step 2 is the most important one, so be sure to follow the instructions properly.

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

I am just backing up files.

Is it ok to do this with the printer and everything still plugged into the computer?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
It's recommended to unplug everything, except the monitor, keyboard, mouse and Ethernet cable. Everything else: phone, printer, scanner, etc. should be unplugged since they can conflict with the installation.

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi

By following step two it didn't take me to the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window.  It just carried on as normal.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright. Insert the CD into your computer and restart it. When you boot, you should see a screen with the Dell logo displayed alright? Usually, on that same screen, you can see commands written such as "F1 = Boot Menu", "F10 = BIOS", "ESC = Setup" and so on. What we want to do here, is to find the key that will bring you into the "Boot Menu". Do you know what I'm talking about?

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Yes I think so, would i then carry on with the instructions before?

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

and would i use the CTRL key and then the boot menu key?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Yes you would carry with the instructions before. Pressing the CTRL key at the same time isn't needed. What you can do however is if you press the key that is supposed to bring you in the Boot Menu and it doesn't work, retry it by pressing CTRL and that key at the same time. Once in the Boot Menu, you want to boot from the CD/DVD-ROM, where your installation CD is.

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi

I booted from F12 - Boot menu and it took me to a list where I could boot from the CD, and then it just logged on as normal to my desktop Windows XP.  Was it supposed to do that?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
When you were in that F12 - Boot Menu, did you select to boot from the CD and then press ENTER to boot? What was the name of the option you chose to boot from?

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi

Thank-you :)

I have managed to restore to factory settings and download from the disk.  However, since then I have not been able to connect to our broadband connection and I don't have a disk for that.  Is this something you can help me with?  When I click on Internet explorer or msn it says the same thing: The page cannot be displayed. The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.  I've tried everything that I know but it isn't working.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
It looks like this reinstallation CD didn't come with the drivers installed, hence you'll be missing drivers, and most likely your Ethernet Controller one (to use an Ethernet cable). Do you have access to another computer or laptop, or even a smartphone form which you can download the drivers I'll link you? If you download these drivers on another computer or laptop, you'll need a USB Flash Drive or DVD to transfer them to the other computer.

Edited by Aura, 16 January 2015 - 12:37 PM.