Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 8 Laptop Mysteriously Shutting Itself Down (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, if the Toshiba driver isn't causing any issues as of right now, leave it like it is and let me know if it keeps on crashing.

Advertisements

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

It's now been a bit more than 24 hours without any BSOD-type crashes.   Let's see if we can get to 48!!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
That's excellent news :) Hopefully the issue was indeed solved!

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Well, we made it all the way through this morning without a BSOD, and I think the latest is unrelated to the earlier ones, but I am not certain.

This one is coming up with "BAD_POOL_HEADER" in the BSOD message.  The event log shows this message:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000019 (0x000000000000000e, 0xffffd0015d39c2b0, 0x000002f64d179d22, 0x9c6b1da2672d8ff6). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 012415-30093-01.

If this warrants a separate thread due to the nature of the bugcheck I'll be happy to start one.

Brian

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Is it possible for you to upload that minidump for me so I can check it out?

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Aura,

Have been out for quite a while.  Again, your wish is my command.  The minidump is attached.

Brian

Attached Files

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Were you using Firefox when the computer crashed? Because the minidump tells me that this process caused the BSOD. What were you doing on it?

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Aura,

This is my partner's laptop, not mine.  I can guarantee you that he was using Firefox since that's the web browser of choice in this household and it's perpetually up, with multiple windows, many of which have multiple tabs, on his laptop.

It's impossible at this point for me to tell you what he was doing.   Heck, he couldn't probably tell me moments after the crash occurred!!  With my/our luck it was probably something on a tab or window that wasn't even visible at the time.

Will keep an eye out for another BSOD of the same type and if we get one I'll do my best to try to determine what page was being browsed at the time of the crash.

Thank you very much, again, for your assistance.

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Aura,

We had another one, but it occurred when neither of us was present.  I've attached the minidump so you can determine whether it was Firefox again.

I am mystified at how a system that has been pretty much rock-solid for a couple of years all of a sudden starts "falling apart" like this!

Attached Files

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Apparently this crash was caused by networx.exe, which belongs to the NetWorx program, by SoftPerfect.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Any update on that situation Bri? Also, what about these two other threads?

http://www.geekstogo...-disk-activity/
http://www.geekstogo...tore-what-next/

Are they issues on the same computer as this one?

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Aura,

Well, I was hoping I was going to be able to report "no problems" with the Win8 laptop after several days of normal function, but, alas, we had another crash this evening.  I have attached the minidump.  The message is BAD_POOL_HEADER.

I've run WinDbg myself (I'm practicing), but I'm not capable of doing the "walk" to which they refer.  I have no idea what's causing this error.

The other two threads are regarding the other two computers in my house.  The intermittent runaway disk activity is on the Win7 Home Premium Laptop (64-bit) I'm posting from right now.  The other BSOD thread is on the Win7 Ultimate (32-bit) desktop that I have downstairs.  I hope I was explicit about the computers in question and their respective OS-es.  I thought I had been.

It feels like I'm being pecked to death by ducks.  I've never had quite so many issues about which I'm relatively clueless crop up, and on every machine in the house, in such rapid succession.  I simply have to get very "zen" and ask, "What is this here to teach me?"

Attached Files

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Once again, the process that caused the crash is Mozilla Firefox. What were you doing when it happened? This time it's a WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT error.

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Aura,

I really, truly, honestly wish I could tell you, but it is my partner's laptop and the crash occurred when I was not even present in the house.  Also, with very rare exceptions, asking him "what were you doing in Firefox when the crash occurred?," generates the response, "I don't know, I was looking at some webpage."  I was tickled when I actually had the BAD_POOL_HEADER part of the crash message written down.

I will definitely ask him when he comes back in, but I fully expect a vague answer, at best.  I try to emphasize that the best way to get to the root of these issues is to be able to make them repeat intentionally, and you can't do that unless you know what you were doing at the time and try it again.

All that being said, this morning I had the first "unexpected shutdown" on this laptop that I've had in years (literally).  I was browsing in Firefox at the time, and had you asked me 10 hours ago I could have told you the exact webpage I was loading at the time, but I can't now.   I'm attaching the minidump from that on the off chance that there could be some connection between Firefox crashing his Win8 laptop and my Win7 laptop.   I actually hope not, as Firefox has been our browser of choice for quite a long time now and I have no desire to change if I can avoid it.

Attached Files

Edited by britechguy, 31 January 2015 - 08:43 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
The crash was caused by the svchost.exe process and it was most likely caused by the psinknc.sys driver, used by Panda Cloud Antivirus.

3Al62Pm.pngList Installed Programs
  • Download MiniToolBox and move it to your Desktop;
  • Execute it by double-clicking on it;
  • Check the "List Installed Programs" checkbox;
    dE2KOUZ.png
  • Click on the Go button;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open.
    wRKHMXW.png
  • Copy/paste (select the Notepad, press Ctrl + A then Ctrl + C to copy, and Ctrl + V to paste) the content of the output log in your next reply;