Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power management only shows do nothing or shut down (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Do you have any Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall, or any other security software installed at the moment on your system? Did you right-click on the executable and select Run as Administrator?

Advertisements

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have Norton Suite installed. No, I just clicked on it (actually double clicked) as I usually do

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, disable every real-time protection component of Norton, and also run the executable as Run as Administrator and try to install it.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Disabled all Norton components; ran as Administrator and got the same error code :0x8 e 5 e0147 after running about 15 min.

I'm sorry about taking so much of your time on this!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Can you try again while under a "Clean Boot"? Make sure to run the executable as Admin, once again.

https://support.micr...om/kb/929135/en

And no problem I don't mind. I'll do whatever I can to help you fix this :)

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Followed directions for clean boot; shut Norton stuff down and tried to install as administrator . Same error message!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Let's try to clean the Windows Update download store and see if it works after.

Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder
This problem may occur if the Windows Update, Software distribution folder has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder. Please note that the folder will be re-created the next time we visit the Windows Update site.

1. Close all the open windows.
2. Click the Start Pearl, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".
3. Right-click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as administrator".
4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it failed, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.

5. Click the Start Pearl, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".
7. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder.
8. Still in "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully started. However, if it failed, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.

Source: https://social.techn...-windows-update

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Above was successfull. Do I do an install fromj DVD? or go through the clean boot steps again

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Go through the clean boot steps again then try to install it.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

I was getting excited - it went about 30 min before it failed and came back with same message

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Does it tells you anything about an installation log that you could attach for me here?

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Nope. No log. only the message "Installation was not sucessfull (Details).

When clicking on details, the error code appears

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hum, I wonder what could cause this issue. I'll look up that error code once more.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
It looks like it's a problem with the installation itself. Doing an "In place upgrade" (or Repair) installation can fix this issue but I would like to avoid doing that for now.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

I think a new installation is probably advised. We still have the original problem (no power options)

the lack of updates -  54 (see attached list)

also received the message "Screen saver could not be run because it requires a newer Video Card that's compatible with Direct3D"; (it was fine before installation) If a non 3D screen saver was picked, it would not go into this mode

also I am unable to adjust screen resolution. Only 1024 x 768 is available

I think thats a lot of problems for you to try to solve!!! I have saved all the links and things we tried incase....