Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird sound/performance issues on a brand new PC

• Please log in to reply

Scramasax

Scramasax

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi

Bought a new computer 2 months ago, but I have a weird problem that I haven't been able to locate a fix for. The problem was bigger when I first received the computer, so I ended up returning it to the producer, and got the graphics card replaced. I got my computer back a few days ago, and sadly the problem remains (however in a smaller scale, and not so frequently), so I turn to you guys for help.

At random intervals the sound will get twisted and start lagging, and the overall performance of the computer will drop massively. The performance get so bad that I can't drag the mouse pointer over the screen without it lagging. This will happen when I surf the web, and often in combination with streaming videos or listening to music. 

The problem I'm facing is that I can't locate the reason for the problem. For example I can play the new Dragon Age Inquisition on Ultra settings for hours at a time, with no problem. Sometimes I open Dragon Age, and the lag is so bad I just have to turn off the computer. At the same time I can stream videos, surf the web and play music for hours one day, while the next day streaming a video will be impossible because of the lag.

The problem occur on all browsers (Firefox, Opera, chrome), and on all streaming sites (youtube, live streams and so on). I have tried to disable almost all background programs (like skype, steam etc), but the problem still occur. Lastly I tried to get rid of AVG anti-virus, but still to no effect.

I'm most tempted to just return the pile of crap to the store, but I turn to you for a last try.

My computer:

Komplett HAF 912 Adv. Midi Tower
Vifter:1x 200mm Front, 1x 200mm Topp, 1x 120mm Bak    

Corsair CX 750W PSU
ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Standard. 2x 6+2pin    

Intel Core i7-4790
Socket-LGA1150, Quad Core, 3.6GHz, 8MB, 84W, 22nm,    

MSI Z97-G55 SLI, Socket-1150
ATX, Z97, DDR3, 3xPCIe-x16, SLI/CFX, VGA, DVI, HDM    

HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 16GB Black
2x8GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM (Kit of 2) HyperX Fur    

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 4GB PhysX CUDA
PCI-Express 3.0, "AMP! EDITION", DL-DVI-I, HDMI 2.    

Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB 2.5" OEM
SATA3.0, 7mm, 450/450MB/s read/write, SandForce®    

Toshiba Desktop 2TB SATA 3.0
SATA 6Gb/s, 64MB Cache, S.M.A.R.T., 7200RPM, 3.5"

Windows 8.1. 

I have the latest video and sound drivers through Nvidia GeForce Experience.

Did a full test with Passmark performance test. CPU, memory, disk all come up normal. The test for the 3D graphics card come up way below the example of their GTX980, as shown below.

Any help is welcome now, I'm out of ideas

Vebjørn

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

Edited by Scramasax, 22 January 2015 - 08:55 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:  Scramasax,

Apologies for the late reply to your OP  :(

Some repetition to begin with here Im afraid;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page.