Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 boot significantly slowed down (SSD) (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Happen Ztruker isnot available at present so you can do a file check.

In the run box, copy and paste sfc /scannow . then press enter.Let the scan finish and then look at the log generated, if there are errors not fixed, run the scan another two times, please  report back. 

Advertisements

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

It does nothing. I get like a little blip on the screen and then nothing. 

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Open a Elevated Command Prompt.

Click on the Start button and type cmd.
DO NOT press Enter or click Go.
Look at the upper part of the window and you will see cmd.exe.
Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.

Try sfc /scannow again.

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Ok. That worked Ztrucker. It did the scan and I got back the message, "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.".

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I guess that's good news and bad news :(. Good that it worked, bad that it didn't fix anything.

Try doing a Clean Boot, see if that helps identify the cause.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

Also check to make sure TRIM is enabled:

How can i know if TRIM command is working on windows 7

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Ok. Did both of those things. Trim is enabled, and I did a clean boot. Still having the same problem. Could it be a virus or malware? This is starting to bug me. 

Edited by Balkhand, 01 February 2015 - 02:14 AM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, if I can just stick my nose in here, being an SSD drive and a year old I am wondering about the condition it is in.

First question is has it ever been defragmented?

As we are in the Vista/Windows 7 threads was the automatic defragmenter turned off when the SSD was new? It should have been by the way.

Although SSD's can be defragmented it is not recommended and should not normally require it to be done, as it seriously overworks the read/write cycles and can hasten the end of the drive.

SSD drives read/write cycle times is finite and though supposedly guaranteed for many thousands of cycles, defragmenting them can rapidly use up those cycles.

Not too sure how it can be determined if this is a problem, though possibly the first thing to look at is what physical size is reported in disk management against the size it should be, or was when new. If certain sectors have died due to over read/write cycling, hopefully it will show up as a smaller drive than it should be.

If the drive doesn't show any problems, and you have the background thought of malware or virus, I suggest posting in the malware section and let the guys look into it for you.

Nev.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

There are a number of articles now, confirming that Windows 8/8.1 defrags a SSD aprox once a month by design as part of the drive maintenance/optimization, (not on other versions) It appears that even with TRIM running, fragmentation still occurs.  

http://www.hanselman...entyourssd.aspx

http://www.ghacks.ne...initive-answer/

You have virus protection and ran Malwarebytes, I think it unlikely you have a virus.

I think we worry to much about wearing out our SSDs.

"a 64GB SSD has 500,000 blocks of 128k. Assuming a lifespan of 100,000 write cycles per block, you get a total of 50 billion writes for the disk, minus 10% for wear leveling give 45 billion usable writes. Divide that by the number of days in 5 years and I get 25 million per day."   Source, > http://maxschireson....mance-concerns/

being an SSD drive and a year old I am wondering about the condition it is in.

Yes, I wonder if it is badly fragmented and if never defragged, give it a go and let us know if the boot time improves..

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

There are a number of articles now, confirming that Windows 8/8.1 defrags a SSD aprox once a month by design as part of the drive maintenance/optimization, (not on other versions) It appears that even with TRIM running, fragmentation still occurs.  

http://www.hanselman...entyourssd.aspx

http://www.ghacks.ne...initive-answer/

You have virus protection and ran Malwarebytes, I think it unlikely you have a virus.

I think we worry to much about wearing out our SSDs.

"a 64GB SSD has 500,000 blocks of 128k. Assuming a lifespan of 100,000 write cycles per block, you get a total of 50 billion writes for the disk, minus 10% for wear leveling give 45 billion usable writes. Divide that by the number of days in 5 years and I get 25 million per day."   Source, > http://maxschireson....mance-concerns/

being an SSD drive and a year old I am wondering about the condition it is in.

Yes, I wonder if it is badly fragmented and if never defragged, give it a go and let us know if the boot time improves..

So I should try defragging it? I just want to confirm before I do it. And the first link is giving me a 404.

Edited by iammykyl, 01 February 2015 - 09:26 PM.

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi, if I can just stick my nose in here, being an SSD drive and a year old I am wondering about the condition it is in.

As we are in the Vista/Windows 7 threads was the automatic defragmenter turned off when the SSD was new? It should have been by the way.

Although SSD's can be defragmented it is not recommended and should not normally require it to be done, as it seriously overworks the read/write cycles and can hasten the end of the drive.

SSD drives read/write cycle times is finite and though supposedly guaranteed for many thousands of cycles, defragmenting them can rapidly use up those cycles.

Not too sure how it can be determined if this is a problem, though possibly the first thing to look at is what physical size is reported in disk management against the size it should be, or was when new. If certain sectors have died due to over read/write cycling, hopefully it will show up as a smaller drive than it should be.

If the drive doesn't show any problems, and you have the background thought of malware or virus, I suggest posting in the malware section and let the guys look into it for you.

Nev.

Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe malware or virus because I can't really think what else I can do. I run malwarebytes regularly, and scan with avast regularly too. Is Samsung's Magician a reliable source to test the health of the ssd?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Balkhand.

Link is fixed.

Yes, I would defrag the SSD, I can't see that it would do any damage.   For peace of mind, you can backup your Data and set s system resort before proceeding. 

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You can't defrag an SSD with Windows 7 or 8. It will automatically do a TRIM. You might be able to do a defrag with another tool, like Defraggler but I really don't see that making any difference in performance.

Since a clean boot made no difference all that leaves that I can see is to save your data and do a Clean reinstall. If that doesn't fix the problem then the SSD is defective and needs to be replaced. If that does fix it then it was most likely caused by a driver problem.

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

You can't defrag an SSD with Windows 7 or 8. It will automatically do a TRIM. You might be able to do a defrag with another tool, like Defraggler but I really don't see that making any difference in performance.

Since a clean boot made no difference all that leaves that I can see is to save your data and do a Clean reinstall. If that doesn't fix the problem then the SSD is defective and needs to be replaced. If that does fix it then it was most likely caused by a driver problem.

Oh [bleep]. I defragged it. It let me. 

Also, a driver for what? The drive or mobo or something?

Edited by Balkhand, 02 February 2015 - 12:15 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please open the Disk Defragmenter, main screen and take a screenshot.

Is there in difference in the start time or performance?

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Finally figured it out. I have a 256g 840 Pro. I had about 9g left on the SSD. I deleted some stuff and have 30g left on it now and it runs great. Back to normal.