Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network being spied on?

• Please log in to reply

amethyst8

amethyst8

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I was wondering if there is a type of virus that can use your internet router to track even your phone conversations? Actually, I think the microphone in the phone has also been remotely turned on because certain info shows up on my desktop that I've talked about with someone when my phone was just sitting in my pocket, and while I was AWAY from home. I have a simple flip phone with a browser but I don't have internet access.  

I discovered this when I started working from home using a program that seems to clump similar words into queues. I screen messages for a well known company. If I watch something on Netflix, TV, or do a search online on either my laptop or desktop, the associated words in my viewing activities and conversations show up in the messages that I read for work. I probably would not have paid more attention to this if it wasn't for my job. Although, I did used to notice that similar words in my conversations and activities showed up in my junk email, but I sort of just brushed that off for awhile. Now I can't ignore it because it is just too obvious, and weird. Overall, I think this has been happening for close to a year now, but I've been working at my new job for about 3 months, and this is when I really started noticing this. The internet router is a Cisco Linksys, and I read an article that said there was some issue with them spying on their customers, but I'm also wondering if there could be some type of virus that infects the network. I did recently get a virus on the desktop, and then my brother got me a laptop for christmas, and shortly after I got a virus on that (think it was through an email.) After days of tinkering, I think I removed them from both computers because they are working fine now. I don't know if I got everything, but I uninstalled as many programs as possible, and used a program to clean the registry too. I used revo uninstaller and eusing registry cleaner. If there is a virus or whatever it would be called in the network, I'd have no idea how to fix that. It's my boyfriend's router, but I'm the fix it person in the house anyway. This is a subject I'm pretty clueless on, but I'm trying to figure out what's going on.

Advertisements