Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network adapter not working

• Please log in to reply

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Go in your Windows Updates panel, and in the bottom left corner, click on Installed Updates. Order the updates by installation date (last column, click on it) then look for an update from "Realtek", which is your Ethernet Controller manufacturer. Is there one?

Advertisements

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

I checked and there were no realtek updates in update history.

thank you

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Can you re-do the steps I listed in my post #4, then reinstall the drivers from the link I provided 2-3 posts below that one?

http://www.geekstogo...g/#entry2477256

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Ok, I once again redo all the steps and reinstalled the network adapter. Well, I thought, I did. First, I checked the adapter's status and it's running at a speed of 10mbps and not at 100. when I reinstalled the driver you provided and once again said the installation was unsuccessful. Are this driver compatible with my network adapter? The reason I ask is because it says that it's for dell wireless. I looked for the realtek network adapter driver in windows programs and in geek uninstaller but it wasn't listed on either one. It was listed in device manager, though. Is there another thing I can try? I don't think the driver installs. I think that this problem may now be affecting my dell wireless because it's running real slow.

Thank You

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Which adapter are you now using that have slow speeds, the Ethernet (wired) or Network (WiFi)?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

My Ethernet is running real slow. my Ethernet is at a speed of 10mbps(it should b 100 in status) and around 8.43mbps d/load speed. Mostly I use the Ethernet when connecting to the net. I've using my dell wireless while trying to fix my problem. Right now, I'm using it. Because it seems to be running faster than the Ethernet. As a mentioned, before my internet plan is for 18mbps. I don't know if the Ethernet malfunctioning also affects the wifi connection. Because the first time I tried the re-installation as instructed by you. Both of my internet adapters worked fine and running fast, around 16-17mbps d/load………

Thank You

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Can you run two SpeedTest, one on the wired network, and one of the WiFi and give me the results so I can see them?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ethernet=9.37mbps

wifi=8.51mbps

as of 20 minutes ago..........

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You know that this isn't a big difference and its normal to have less speed on a wireless than a wired connection? Also, its not because you pay for 17-18mbps that you'll have it all the time. It works with peak hours. If everyone is home using their connection, of course the overall speed will drop. As an example, I pay for 60mpbs but right now I only get 40. Reason being that its the week evening and everyone is home using their Internet so the whole band is affected.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

The thing is that before the ethernet adapter's problems. It was running at a speed of 100mbps and I was averaging between 12-14mbps d/load, daily. Earlier today, I was getting only 0.91mbps so after 30mins. I restarted my PC and it came up 7mbps. I'm disabled. So, I pretty much spend a majority of the day online(emailing, skyping, watching TV, movies, sports and reading news). I think. I'm going to try the “refresh windows” option in w8.1 and see if that helps. Anyways, thanks for all your help.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Let me know how it goes. Do you pay for a 100mbps download plan with your ISP?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, I think that my problem is solved.  About a week and half ago, talking to a friend, I mentioned my problem.  he had a similar problem a couple of years  ago and he suggested that before I run the "refresh windows" option in w8.  I should buy and try a new ethernet cable and see if that could fix my problem.  well, it's been about four days with a new cable and my network adapter is back connecting at 100mbps instead of 10mbps.  I will feel a lot better about it after the one week mark.  thanks for all your help............

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem rigs, I'm glad that you found a solution to your issue :)