Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access localhost

• Please log in to reply

JustMe80

JustMe80

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Here's how this played out....

I installed XAMPP on my Arch Linux machine intent on dabbling in development, and it worked great for the first day or so.  Then one day when I went to localhost/phpMyAdmin, Chrome tells me it can't access localhost and shows ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.  I tried changing the XAMPP config file to communicate via several different ports but that just produced the same error.  Uninstalled Chrome and installed Chromium... same error. Closed all applications... disabled all plugins that might interfere.... same error.

After looking around for other solutions, I came across Ampps and really liked what I saw!  Downloaded and installed!  Went to localhost/phpMyAdmin and got the same error.

At this point I can only guess it's a security setting somewhere given I'm now running a different software package under a different browser and still get the same error.  The tricky thing is that it worked great for a while... possibly until reboot?  Not sure what triggered it... it just stopped allowing access.  Now I can't access anything via localhost in a browser.  Also tried 127.0.0.1, localhost:80, localhost:88, and so on.  No luck.

Any ideas?  This is not my area of expertise... and Google and I are both out of ideas.

Many thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

So you're not sure if anything changed between the last time it worked and when it stopped working?  Except maybe a reboot?

Have you tried doing a system restore?

JustMe80

JustMe80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
You are correct. I haven't tried anything as severe as system restore.... Was looking for a simpler solution before exploring something that drastic.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Ah, I just noticed you said you're running Linux.  I was suggesting a system restore like what's available on Windows 7... but I don't even know if that's an option for you.

I would consider re-formatting to be drastic, but not a general system restore.  :P

JustMe80

JustMe80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Honestly not sure how to do that on Linux... If it comes down to it, I have friends who would help me... But doesn't seem it should be necessary since it started off working just fine.

JustMe80

JustMe80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Honestly not sure how to do that on Linux... If it comes down to it, I have friends who would help me... But doesn't seem it should be necessary since it started off working just fine.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

I'm not an expert, but don't you need to restart XAMPP on reboot?

sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start