Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreen - cooling fan not running

• Please log in to reply

crashedpilot

crashedpilot

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
My Dell C600 produces random blue screens, and occasionally black screen "hard drive not present". I have posted before but received no adequate answer or help.
I have now noticed that the internal cooling fans do not fire up and the CPU temperature rises to around 48 degrees before the blue screen. I now have switched system off before this level, to cool down.
How do I find out why the fan doesn't work? I have Everest and this tells me the sensor temperature.

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Either try the fans you've got in another computer or replace them with new ones, they're not very expensive.
48 degrees doesn't seem too high to me though, anything below 60 degrees should be fine.

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
How long has this problem been going on? Have you checked to see if the fans are even plugged in? What have you done to your system, recently, etc.. More info will get better results.

-SkyHi

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Either try the fans you've got in another computer or replace them with new ones, they're not very expensive.
48 degrees doesn't seem too high to me though, anything below 60 degrees should be fine.

View Post

As far as my 'research' goes, I've found that a Dell C600 is a laptop. So, it'll be hard switch from another computer, if he's even got another laptop.

-SkyHi

crashedpilot

crashedpilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK Guys. Thanks for the replies so far. Firtstly, this is a laptop and I don't have another to do a test on. Secondly, I'm retiscent to open it up without guidance. About a month ago I took it into the shop with the bluescreen problem. Their US$60 assessment was that the hard drive had a "loose" connection with the motherboard. When it came back, and I left it on for long periods, it would bluescreen again. I have posted several times to try and sort the problem.
A couple of days ago I "noticed" that the when bs happened the laptop was extremely hot. It was then that I realised that the cooling fan had been silent for some time. This is the one that vents to the right of the screen at the side (when facing the screen). The smaller one at the rear doesn't fire up either. I have Everest installed if anyone needs it