Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP BB07 external hard drive does not get detected under Windows Expl

hp external hard drive I/O device error unknown and not initiazed

• Please log in to reply

mihir_kiwi

mihir_kiwi

• Pip
  • 4 posts

My HP BB07 external hard drive does not get detected under Windows Explorer. This hard drive is also not getting detected in another computer and a different external HD is getting detected on both those computers - which implies its not the computer, port or all hard drive issue. The issue seems to be only with that particular HD - hope its not broken. 

When I go to Disk Management it comes up as unknown and not initialized (Disk 1). I get following message when I start Disk Management.

Attached File  Image 1.bmp   771.5KB   356 downloads

On pressing OK I get “The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.”

Attached File  Image 2.bmp   767.95KB   375 downloads

Also, the Volume tab looks like following:

Attached File  Image 3.bmp   675.44KB   283 downloads

Can anyone please let me know what needs to be done here so that the hard disk can be detected?

Edited by mihir_kiwi, 18 February 2015 - 12:23 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I'm having trouble finding that make/model external hard drive, PD1000 comes up as a Compaq desktop. are you sure that's the name of the external hard drive?

mihir_kiwi

mihir_kiwi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I think its called PD1000 series but from the image I can see it says "HP Portable HD BB07 USB Device" - so I guess its HP BB07...

Edited by mihir_kiwi, 18 February 2015 - 12:21 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

thanks...that actually comes up as a hard drive. just trying to see if it's something that you could disassemble and test the HD out of the enclosure. sometimes it's an enclosure failure and not a drive failure.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

there is surprisingly little info on that thing on the internet...from what I can find, it doesn't look like the type of thing a regular person would want to open up. some of he enclosures are just wrappers for regular hard drives...I would suspect this one to be the same based on descriptions. but it might not be. pretty hard to test it outside of the enclosure.

given the fact that it won't detect (or at least detects the same wrong way) on every computer suggests that it's the drive not the computer. it could be the enclosure that's failed or it could be the hard drive. the only way to know that for sure would be to get the thing open and see if it's a regular SATA or PATA hard drive inside or if it's something different. if it's a regular hard drive you could try it in a different enclosure and see if it changes performance. if it's not...well I don't know.

of course this all assumes it's out of warranty already. if it's still under warranty I'd check with HP about getting it returned.