Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drive, windows media player won't work

• Please log in to reply

gambit293

gambit293

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Hi all,

Windows 7 laptop.  Windows media player won't work and the CD drive won't work.  The computer generally is just laggy. 

Should I start with a different forum here? Let me know.

Thank you.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

gambit293

Some of this is hardware issue if DVD drive not working, but might be mostly files and settings in Windows 7 causing issues.

What happens when try to open Windows Media Player exactly, any errors, nothing shows at all ? Any other software play CD or DVD, some CD or DVD might not be compatible with drive or Media Player.

Try to first check DVD Drive

Open the DVD drive properties by clicking the Start button, clicking Computer, right-clicking the DVD drive, and then clicking Properties. Click the Hardware tab, and then left click the DVD drive from the list. Under Device Properties, click Properties, click the Driver tab, make sure not disabled if so click Enable, and then click OK.

Follow steps provided here also

http://answers.micro...17-5e3f32a9834f

Explain more about what you meant about Laptop being laggy. On boot up, slow, generally slow using it ? Also provide model and make of laptop.

Run the System File Checker tool

To do this, click Start, type Command Prompt or cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

At the command prompt, copy and paste the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files

After the process is finished, you may receive following messages:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.This means that you do not have any missing or corrupted system files.

If says can not repair post back on it to us.

Edited by jds63, 19 February 2015 - 03:51 PM.

gambit293

gambit293

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Thank you for the response.  I was wrong about the CD drive.  It does appear to be working.  It acknowledges audio CDs and tries to start media player, which pops up, lags, and then quits.  I also tested the CD drive with a software CD, and that appears to work.  

I am still working my way through the instructions on the page you linked to.  I will repost after I get through that.

Thanks again.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Your welcome, try the rest of solutions, might be corrupt files with Media Player or have to re-register .dll's. Check your Auto Play settings in control panel for CD,. Have any files, mp3..etc.. can try with media player ?

Edited by jds63, 19 February 2015 - 09:25 PM.

gambit293

gambit293

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

No luck so far on the Media Player, though I tested the CD player again (this time with Winamp) and confirmed that it does work.

I followed the instructions at the link you posted.  The listing of windows features was blank, so I followed instructions here:

https://www.raymond....nalfeaturesexe/

... which prompted me to install Windows System Update Readiness Tool.  That tool did in fact work in correcting my windows features list, so I followed through with disabling media player, restarting, re-enabling, restarting.

However, sfc failed after all that.  I tried about four times and it froze at Verification 53% every single time: "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

FYI, this is Dell Inspiron, running Windows 7 (64 bit).  Let me know if I should repost this in a different forum, since the hardware-half of the problem appears to be resolved.

Thanks.

Edit: Media Player will pop up with a blank window, will lag, and then eventually quit after a minute or so.  You can also watch the process pop-up and then terminate on the task manager.

Edited by gambit293, 22 February 2015 - 12:49 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Sorry post doubled on me below,disregard it. Your welcome..

Glad had fixed 2 issues, but problem with not being able to run SFC not good. Try to run it from the System Recovery tool, select command prompt, tutorial here about it.

http://www.sevenforu...ry-options.html

At the command prompt, copy and paste the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

If this does not work, try running it in safe mode also. Chances need to then try in System Recovery tool a repair install. In any case backup anything important now on this PC.

Only other solution if none works is reinstall of Windows 7, why i mentioned backup all important stuff now. Obvious some files are corrupted.

It is o.k. leave topic here now, as i have no authority to move it, best not to have 2 topics.

Edited by jds63, 22 February 2015 - 02:16 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Glad had fixed 2 issues, but problem with not being able to run SFC not good. Try to run it from the System Recovery tool, select command prompt, tutorial here about it.

http://www.sevenforu...ry-options.html

sfc /scannow

If this does not work, try running it in safe mode also. Chances need to then try in System Recovery tool a repair install. In any case backup anything important now on this PC.

Only other solution if none works is reinstall of Windows 7, why i mentioned backup all important stuff now. Obvious some files are corrupted.

It is o.k. leave topic here now, as i have no authority to move it, best not to have 2 topics.

gambit293

gambit293

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

To be clear, are you suggesting that I boot into safe mode command prompt, and then run sfc?  The instructions on that link are a bit unclear to me.  Thanks.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

To be clear, are you suggesting that I boot into safe mode command prompt, and then run sfc?  The instructions on that link are a bit unclear to me.  Thanks.

Try it from system recovery tool first as explained in tutorial, beleive need Windows 7 disc.

Boot into safe mode first, then follow same instruction as if you were not in safe mode as i showed in post before.

Chances may need to recover system, know if it has a recovery partition on drive for recovering to factory settings ? Usually put on by manufacturer of the PC when bought if all is original still with PC.

Any system restore points made before this issue happened ? If so can go back to that point using system restore and you can even do this using the Windows seven disc.

Edited by jds63, 25 February 2015 - 07:53 PM.