Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Requesting help from programmer to create a basic text-based launch me

• Please log in to reply

krs000a

krs000a

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi!
I would like to create a VERY SIMPLE basic TEXT-ONLY based launch menu for Windows XP, that will launch various programs from a list. I have no programming skills, so I need someone to do this for me. I am willing to pay the person. This what I want the menu to do:

-The menu is to appear as soon as Windows boots (preferrably before the desktop, icons, mouse cursor etc appears).

-This menu is supposed to be in fullscreen mode (not in a maximized window)

-The menu should consist of choices of programs that I select by using the up & down arrow keys and enter. Choosing a program should execute a shortcut and the program should start (these programs will be programs running in fullscreen mode). Exiting a program should return me to the menu.

-I don't want the mouse cursor to be visible while the menu is on the screen.

-A special key should allow me to exit the menu and enter Windows as usual.

-The menu choices of programs on the menu MUST be of very large font size, as this is to be displayed on a 5" (yes, 5 inches) monitor.

-If it was possible to add a sound effects that is heard whenever the highlighted text on the menu is switched or a program is seleect, it would be a nice touch, but not neccessary!

-This is what the menu should look like, to give you an idea: http://s22.postimg.o...Untitled_1.jpg2

Can someone help me? Reply here or send me a message. Thanks for reading!!

Advertisements

Safe Mode

Safe Mode

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I don't know if your trying to get someone to program you a program or if you are going to do it your self. But i am differently not going to be programming you a program for free but here are some tuts i found that could help you out

YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz5pKf1tHMk

Edited by Safe Mode, 19 February 2015 - 03:36 AM.

krs000a

krs000a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

No, I'm willing to pay whoever can make it exactly the way I described in my original post. Can you, and if so what would you charge?

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Hi!
I would like to create a VERY SIMPLE basic TEXT-ONLY based launch menu for Windows XP, that will launch various programs from a list. I have no programming skills, so I need someone to do this for me. I am willing to pay the person. This what I want the menu to do:

-The menu is to appear as soon as Windows boots (preferrably before the desktop, icons, mouse cursor etc appears).

-This menu is supposed to be in fullscreen mode (not in a maximized window)

-The menu should consist of choices of programs that I select by using the up & down arrow keys and enter. Choosing a program should execute a shortcut and the program should start (these programs will be programs running in fullscreen mode). Exiting a program should return me to the menu.

-I don't want the mouse cursor to be visible while the menu is on the screen.

-A special key should allow me to exit the menu and enter Windows as usual.

-The menu choices of programs on the menu MUST be of very large font size, as this is to be displayed on a 5" (yes, 5 inches) monitor.

-If it was possible to add a sound effects that is heard whenever the highlighted text on the menu is switched or a program is seleect, it would be a nice touch, but not neccessary!

-This is what the menu should look like, to give you an idea: http://s22.postimg.o...Untitled_1.jpg2

Can someone help me? Reply here or send me a message. Thanks for reading!!

1) Create a Reg Key, or Schedule t Auto Run it on Boot.

2) The States of this Window, are on of, Maximized, Minimized and Normal. This can by "bypassed" by setting the form Borderstyle to "None".

3) Porbab;y do-able using the Up & Down keys. It would be easier to use the "Tab Index" Properity of Visual Basic, and set the in an order you like (1-X) Going down starting at 1.

3 b) Don't know what you mean, do you want this program to "overrun" your "Full Screened" menu? Or do you want the program to be ended? If you want it to be ended, then your idea, is NOT plaubile unless you want a gazillion lines of code for each program on this list..

4) Set your Cursor Properity to "no"

5) This can be accomplished by setting an Ampersand (&) to the letter BEFORE the letter you want to be special. So if you want R in "before" is should look like "befo&re". This should be changed in the Text Properity of the Button of your wishing.

6) Change the Font settings of the according Object you wish to change.

7) Wouldn't bother.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

So, I actually went ahead and took 5 minutes to look into what you've requested. Certainly seems feasible... I'm having an issue with make that Mouse cursor Disappear though... Just shows as a "Do not Enter" sign..

I've created a "Very" rudementary version.

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click
        System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Windows\explorer.exe")
    End Sub

Private Sub Button4_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button4.Click
        System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe")
    End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        End

End Sub
End Class

I will ask an Admin if I can post a D/L for you too look at, but until then, I will not.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Alright, I got permission from Admin :-)

Program Launcher.exe

It's a rudementry version, of course. In order to actually code this for your System, I would require Program Names and paths to the Executable files... I haven't found a way yet to get rid of the mouse.

If you could clarify what you mean in your 3rd point, that would be fantastic.

Edit: Also, to use the "special key" to exit, is "x", or just click "exit".

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by Alan1998, 21 February 2015 - 01:28 PM.

ident

ident

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Do not ever use end to close an application. It does not actually close any thing and crashes the application. In extreme cases can cause system damage.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

May I ask where you got this from Ident?

I've been using End for years now, and have not experienced ANY issues. This is how we are taught.

It should also be stated that; my entire school in the Computer Science 110 class, uses end. Why would they teach something that would damage their systems?

Edited by Alan1998, 22 February 2015 - 07:40 PM.

krs000a

krs000a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Michael, thank you for the help!

I will download the program and test it on the computer I'll be using it on.

Then I'll return with feedback.

Edited by krs000a, 22 February 2015 - 11:37 PM.

krs000a

krs000a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

It won't let me download the file, it says "blocked, may contain a virus". :-(

Could you rename the exe to something else, or possibly RAR it or maybe upload to a different file hoster?
I'm so sorry for the trouble.

Advertisements

krs000a

krs000a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Nevermind, it was Firefox that blocked it. Downloaded it thru Internet Explorer. :-)

Will return with feedback.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I noticed Firefox didn't like it, wasn't entirely sure why though. I had meant too forewarn about that, sorry.

Chrome would've done the same using the grounds "It's new and not signed" probably.

Edit: Or in exact words "This program is not commonly downloaded and could be harmful"

Edited by Alan1998, 23 February 2015 - 05:21 AM.

ident

ident

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

May I ask where you got this from Ident?

I've been using End for years now, and have not experienced ANY issues. This is how we are taught.

It should also be stated that; my entire school in the Computer Science 110 class, uses end. Why would they teach something that would damage their systems?

Then your entire class needs to be taught correctly. Have you or any of your class read the MSDN documentation regarding Using the end statement? It's always the first place to begin reading it's own documentation.

MSDN documentation

The End statement stops code execution abruptly, and does not invoke the Dispose or Finalize method, or any other Visual Basic code. Object references held by other programs are invalidated. If an End statement is encountered within a Try or Catch block, control does not pass to the corresponding Finally block.

When you want to turn your computer off, do you click on "Shut down" (or "Turn off computer") as you are supposed to, or do you pull the power cable out of the back? End is the same as pulling the plug. End is basically a way of making your program crash. Using "End" can cause damage to your files/memory/etc increase (and that damage may be permanent), so it should always be avoided.

Since you mention experience i started with vb6 in 97 and moved to VB in 2002. I am an experienced vb coder of nearly 20 years. Listen to me or not, that is your choice but please do not teach other members bad habits.

Edited by ident, 23 February 2015 - 11:12 AM.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Would you rather I use Me.close?

ident

ident

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

It depends on the situation. Application.Exit exits the application no matter where it's called from. All appropriate events are raised and all appropriate cleanup is performed. Application.Exit is generally what you should call when you want to exit the application. Application.Exit does bypass the Closing and Closed events of your forms but FormClosing and FormClosed are raised.

Me.Close simply closes the current form. If the current form is the last or main form then that will also exit the application, depending on your shut down settings in side properties.