Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP mini 311

• Please log in to reply

Kater.bug107

Kater.bug107

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I factory reset my HP mini 311 but in the process the charge came unplugged and my laptop died before it could finish resetting. Now when I turn it on it show a black screen that says "NVIDIA boot agent 253.0543
Copyright © 2001-2008 NVIDIA Corporation
Copyright © 1997-2008 Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF Existing NVIDIA Boot Agent.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"
But my laptop doesn't have a CD drive

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

how did you do the reset the first time?

OpenSourcerer

OpenSourcerer

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
It appears that it cannot find your installation.
If you have access to another computer and a flash drive you can create a flash drive to boot and install windows again.
Check your product key for your specific version( should be on the bottom of your labtop)

You'll need a 32bit ISO for your version of windows.

You can get Yumi here
http://www.pendrivel...UMI-2.0.1.5.exe

Once you have the ISO, Yumi and a flash drive

Insert the flash drive, back up any import files that may be stored on it.

Open Yumi

Near the top there should be a drop down window that let's you select the target, select your flash drive. (If it doesn't show up, check "my computer" for which drive it is and click the "show all" in Yumi and select your flash drive)

After you have selected the target(flash drive) there is a way to select what you're installing. Select the OS, then you select the ISO from your files. The create button should no longer be faded. Click it and wait for the process to complete.

After that you may need to enable booting from a USB in your bios settings, it's not too difficult.

Turn on the device and mash f10 until you see your bios menu
Follow instructions here, set it the boot usb first.
http://support.hp.co...ument/c00364979

Save and quit
Then after that insert USB and restart the machine.
It should boot from the USB and allow you to install your OS, just like if it was from a disc.

After you have installed your OS and everything works you can set your boot order back, otherwise it may get annoying if you leave your USB plugged in.

If anything is unclear or you get stuck, let us know.

Edited by OpenSourcerer, 20 February 2015 - 08:49 AM.

Kater.bug107

Kater.bug107

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Factor reset in the settings

TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Factor reset in the settings

Kater,

As OpenSourcerer stated above, you will have to know manually reinstall the Operating System. The best way to go about it is to locate your OEM installation disk which came included in the purchased laptop HP box. Second, you will need an external DVD reader to plug into the laptop and load up the OEM disk holding Windows Operating System.

That being said... this isn't an easy task to do if you're new as it will require manual work before, during and after the installation to get you going. The hardest part though is deciding if you want to continue from this. I've provided a video down below that will guide you through the manual process of installing Windows through an external DVD drive.

That being said, you're laptop is NOT destroyed, it's just not possible to operate until Windows is re-installed from scratch.  You can always take in your laptop to a local repair shop for a (estimated) price of $50-$90 to install Windows.

(as OpenSourcerer suggested as well, there is a more advanced option to install the OS via a thumb drive instead of an external dvd drive)