Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having trouble getting desktop to start.

IT help

• Please log in to reply

InsertSomethingCool

InsertSomethingCool

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, sorry this is lame, but I have difficulties with a year old computer that will not start. I believe it could be something to do with the power connector cord as no parts of the computer seem faulty: 

• Power light on the motherboard is on, therefore the computer is receiving power.
  • The Ethernet port is working, therefore the motherboard should be functional.
  • Recently due to the same issue, an IT serviceman tested my power supply and it was fine (that time the motherboard short circuited).

The weird thing is, I was able to turn the computer on a couple of days ago and the computer was fully functional. However as soon as you turn the computer off, it has difficulties turning on again. I have checked the power button and I believe it is pressing in fully and that should not be an issue.  

Another observation is when you turn the power supply off at the switch and hold the power button, the power light on the motherboard takes time to turn off where I believe it should instantly turn off. 

Could someone please help me?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday,  :welcome:

Please supply us some more information.

Is the computer a Dell/HP or similar? give the brand and model number.

If a custom build, list the parts you know, MB, CPU, RAM, PSU. Case.

What OS is installed?