Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Replace or repair?

• Please log in to reply

kieranaginnelly

kieranaginnelly

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I have a 7 year old HP tower pc "HP Pavillion Elite M9175 UK-A" that broke down a few days ago. It 2 banks of:

4GB kit (2GBx2) DDR2 PC2-6400 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.8V 256Meg x 64

This memory was installed by me 2 years ago. It is memory made by "Crucial Memory"

The power light is coming on and the fans are running, the screen turns on but they is no continuous sound of it booting up. It has been used for 2-3 hours per day for surfing the internet, and office tasks, no gaming. I smelt a burning smell from it a few days ago and it went off and not come on since. Any idea,s on what is more likely to be wrong would be appreciated. Would it be the power supply or motherboard? Do you think it is worth be having it repaired at a cost of £45 plus 20% tax per hour or just buy a new pc. All of its parts are the original parts with the exception of a two year Hybrid Hard drive. Many thanks for your time.

Edited by kieranaginnelly, 22 February 2015 - 05:15 PM.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Hi kieranaginnelly

Welcome to G2G

Based on what you described smelling some thing burnt it is probably (usually)  the PSU (power supply unit) or the mother board.

If its the PSU you can change it yourself with a screwdriver you only need a bit of coordination.

If its the mother board then I would recommend a new PC. Parts are hard to find, not cheap and usually do not last as long as the old ones.

You didn't give much of a description about the computer as what model ram ...

Here are a few questions to get more information about the state of the computer

When you turn the computer on does it beep? if it does is a single short beep?

Check the mother board (first stage) Disconnect the computer from the socket. Open the side door of the computer.

Now look at the mother board. You will see what looks like little barrels. These are capacitors. They should all be flat and shiny. If they are not either puffy ore with some stuff on top of them then it is the mother board that went and maybe the Processor. This does not tell us what is with the PSU. 

If you'r not sure than take a picture and post it and we'll look at it from here.

Post us what you found and we'll move on from there

vally

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Ditto  :welcome:   kieranaginnelly,

Please provide the model name or series number (not serial) of the HP computer so we can check the specs it shipped with, providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Before opening up the computer can I ask if you are happy to do so.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

kieranaginnelly

kieranaginnelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Ditto  :welcome:   kieranaginnelly,

Please provide the model name or series number (not serial) of the HP computer so we can check the specs it shipped with, providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

It is a HP Compaq Pavillion Elite M9175 Uk.a PC

2 Banks of 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 Unbuffered Non-EEC 1,8v 256meg x 64

It has a dedicated 256 mb Creative Sound blaster Sound card and a 256 mb Nvidia graphics card

There is no beeps whatsoever on start-up. Apart from the lights coming in and the fans blowing there are no other sounds relating to it's usual sounds on booting.

Thank for you help and time.

Kind regards

Kieran

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

While Phillpower2 is out hang gliding, will give some info for you.

Your computer specs, > http://support.hp.co...ument/c01366770

The MB,  > http://support.hp.co...ument/c01324212

A replacement MB > http://www.pcupgrade...&categoryid=260

A replacement PSU, only one I could find, > http://www.ambry.com/5188-2627.html

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Gday.

While Phillpower2 is out hang gliding

:rofl:

Thanks for the additional support and information iammykyl  :thumbsup:

Keiron,

vally previously asked the following;

I then asked in my reply #3

Can you answer both questions please.

From the specs provided by iammykyl we now know that unless your computer shipped with a different MB than listed you should also have the option of removing the add on video card and trying the MBs integrated video chip, this is why I particularly asked if if you are comfortable with opening up the computer, checking and ensuring your safety comes first.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

How is your troubleshooting progressing?   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

kieranaginnelly

kieranaginnelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Gday.

Thanks. 

Sorry for my delay in replying. I have been unwell. I have have opened and replaced many parts in various PC,s I have had, except the motherboards, Processors and Power supplies I am not confident of doing this as  it is a Mini-Tower and I have very big hands so I do know if I could handle taking out my parts to be able to get my hand in with a screwdriver.

Kind regards

Kieran Ginnelly

kieranaginnelly

kieranaginnelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Gday.

While Phillpower2 is out hang gliding

:rofl:

Thanks for the additional support and information iammykyl  :thumbsup:

Keiron,

vally previously asked the following;

I then asked in my reply #3

Can you answer both questions please.

From the specs provided by iammykyl we now know that unless your computer shipped with a different MB than listed you should also have the option of removing the add on video card and trying the MBs integrated video chip, this is why I particularly asked if if you are comfortable with opening up the computer, checking and ensuring your safety comes first.

Hi kieranaginnelly

Welcome to G2G

Based on what you described smelling some thing burnt it is probably (usually)  the PSU (power supply unit) or the mother board.

If its the PSU you can change it yourself with a screwdriver you only need a bit of coordination.

If its the mother board then I would recommend a new PC. Parts are hard to find, not cheap and usually do not last as long as the old ones.

You didn't give much of a description about the computer as what model ram ...

Here are a few questions to get more information about the state of the computer

Check the mother board (first stage) Disconnect the computer from the socket. Open the side door of the computer.

Now look at the mother board. You will see what looks like little barrels. These are capacitors. They should all be flat and shiny. If they are not either puffy ore with some stuff on top of them then it is the mother board that went and maybe the Processor. This does not tell us what is with the PSU. 

If you'r not sure than take a picture and post it and we'll look at it from here.

Post us what you found and we'll move on from there

vally

Sorry for my delay in replying. I have been unwell. I have have opened and replaced many parts in various PC,s I have had, except the motherboards, Processors and Power supplies I am not confident of doing this as  it is a Mini-Tower and I have very big hands so I do know if I could handle taking out my parts to be able to get my hand in with a screwdriver.

kieranaginnelly

kieranaginnelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Gday.

Thanks. 

Edited by kieranaginnelly, 09 March 2015 - 11:10 PM.

kieranaginnelly

kieranaginnelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Gday.

Thanks. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Having big hands should not be a problem, if you use a magnetic tipped screwdriver, you don't have to get at the screws with you fingers.

You have to decide if replacing the PSU is a risk you want to take as it may turn out to be the MB.

You could ring around local PC repair shops and find out how much they would charge to test the PSU. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Been a while since we heard from your.   Have you fixed your problem?   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks.