Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change HD Partitions

• Please log in to reply

WilliamP

WilliamP

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

I have an ASUS K52jk-a1 laptop. It has a 500gb. hd that came divided into three partitions. The first is the Primary ,the second is the system boot and the last is the Data . There is nothing on the Data partition. I would like to do away with D and put it into C. Right now there is 334 gb. in D and only 116 in C. I don't want to take a chance of loosing what is on C right now. Can it be done and how? Windows 7 is the OS.

Edited by WilliamP, 25 February 2015 - 12:30 PM.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi William :)

You won't be able to expand the C: partition with the "Data" partition space if the System Boot partition is in between them (and it shouldn't be to be honest) using the Windows Disk Management Utility. You'll have to use a third party program. Let's see how everything is organized right now.

Click on your Windows Start Menu, then right-click on Computer and select Manage. In the left tab, click on Disk Management and wait for the window to load. Once done, expand the window, then take a screenshot of it (the whole thing) and attach that screenshot to your next post.

How to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Once done, attach that screenshot to your next reply;

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Screen Shot 02-25-15 at 03.35 PM.PNG

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright that's awesome, it'll be easier than I thought. Before we start, are you 100% sure that there's no files whatsoever on the DATA (D:) drive? Because once you delete it, there'll be no turning back.

Edited by Aura, 25 February 2015 - 02:55 PM.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
When I open My Computer it shows D with 334 capacity with 334 open.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, here's what you'll do. You'll right-click on the DATA (D:) blue rectangle and select Delete partition. Once this is done, the rectangle should turn to black and Unallocated. Once done, you'll right-click on the OS (C:) rectangle and select Extend volume.... On the first window it'll ask you how much you want to extend that partition for. Make sure that the number of space you had is the same to the number of space available (should be the same and the maximum by default). Once done, just click on Next until the end. Simple as that :)

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thank you . That worked great.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem William glad that I could be of assistance :)