Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A couple of questions about new PC, and monitor advise (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

parrot feet

parrot feet

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Firstly thank you for the help received after I dropped my laptop and subsequent tests performed. In the end I needed a new computer, and I have a few queries.

I had a budget of £300 and after looking at some OK spec desktops, I saw a decent spec one on Amazon Warehouse (Zoostorm 7877-0411, AMD A10 5700 3.4GHz Processor, 12GB RAM, 2TB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows 8). It was listed as used, but no further info. For £280 I thought I would give it a shot after an Amazon rep said I could return it for free if its not what I expected. One recent bad review said it was loud and wouldn't load Windows, so I assumed it would be that return. When I opened it, there was no scratches as described, I seems brand new. When I plugged it in to my current monitor, it loaded the Zoostorm logo, but said 'no signal' after that. I tried a Windows repair as I thought something was wrong with Windows, but nothing. I decided to plug it into my telly and it works! Windows loads and all seems fine.

So, my queries.

1. What should I look for in a monitor? Obviously my current one doesn't support it, what should I look for when getting a new one?

2. Can I see if anything has been done to the computer before I got it? I have to assume it was used, but would like to know how much, or if it was the bad reviewer and he had the same monitor trouble, and in the end didn't use it!

3. It didn't come with a Windows disc. Should I be worried, is it normal not to be supplied with one?

4. How do I get the windows key if I need it for future issues? Its not on the case (I haven't opened it up yet).

5. Can I do a health check, just to make sure everything is working fine? The HDD is making a loud noise, but Im used to silent laptop so its probably normal.

This is the speccy results ... http://speccy.pirifo...8O2kKhq2UWG5BbI And before you say, Yes, I have named my computer Tinkerbell! When I plugged it into the telly, it asked me to name my computer and I saw my daughters Tinkerbell DVD.

P.S I haven't installed Norton yet, I'll wait to see if Im keeping it before I start using it properly.

Edited by parrot feet, 28 February 2015 - 07:10 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: parrot feet,

Not a bad PC for the money.

What should I look for in a monitor? Obviously my current one doesn't support it,

Let's make sure of that, what brand and model  is it?

Can I see if anything has been done to the computer before I got it? I have to assume it was used, but would like to know how much, or if it was the bad reviewer and he had the same monitor trouble, and in the end didn't use it!

From your Speccy log, everything looks normal with hardware correctly connected.   You will need to open the case to see if there is anything abnormal with the hardware.

It didn't come with a Windows disc. Should I be worried, is it normal not to be supplied with one?

Yes, it should come with the OS disc, or, recovery discs, or, if the suppler has pre installed the OS before shipping, there should be a recovery partition on the hard drive.   Contact the suppler and make inquiries.

How do I get the windows key if I need it for future issues? Its not on the case (I haven't opened it up yet).

The Key is on the COA label, it may be inside the case, or I have seen it stuck inside the MB manual. Please read, > http://www.microsoft...bid=n6emSYJ46Kr

Western digital hard drives are know for being noise, Speccy outputs the hard drive diagnostic, S.M.A.R.T.  which shows all good, only downside is it is a 5400rpm drive more suitable for backups, a bit slow for the Boot drive.

Windows Defender virus protection is running, so you are safe.   Unless Norton is a paid for version, consider using a free version as it is a biy of resorces hog.  

parrot feet

parrot feet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thank you for your quick reply. It was on Amazon warehouse deals, its new for £450 so I thought its worth a shot. They couldn't say if it was used or warehouse damaged, but I suspect its used and a return from the last bad review saying it wouldnt load. Looks to be the same problem with a monitor.

Anyway, my monitor is emprex lw1922c, it was donated by a friend while my laptop was down, so I'm not sure how old it is. It showed the zoostorm loading screen and allowed me to view setup etc, just not windows and beyond.

I've opened up the case and everything looks pristine, though to be honest I don't know what I'm looking for fault wise! It all looks good to me. There is no windows sticker inside.

All that came with it was a manual for the motherboard and disc. When I've watched unboxing videos on YouTube, they seem to pull out an extra booklet and disc. I will get in touch with zoostorm and see what they say.

The Norton is paid for so I will use that first, but after reading other posts, it seems free alternatives are just as good. Its likely I will switch when my current one expires.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello folks,

While iammykyl is offline my two penneth  :)

Your video is provided by the CPU and so you would get nothing on either screen if it was bad in any way, Windows 8 may have no generic drivers for the monitor, rare but it can happen.

Magical Jelly Bean keyfinder (free) here

Windows 8/8.1 System recovery and recovery disk options guide here

Norton I understand but if you have any problems other than the present screen one uninstalling Norton would be my first troubleshooting step.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Folks.

Thanks for your input Phillpower2 and the links. also agree, the integrated graphics are working.

HolyCowZb, I think the hiccup is with the type of video ports on the MB,

Your monitor only has a VGA port, ^Analogue signal,  (also refereed to as a D-Sub port  

The other one is a DVI-D port, ^digital signal, this cannot be converted with a simple adaptor to convert it to analogue signal.

You need this type of cable, (no sound) > http://www.extron.co...abshellconc&s=4

Or this type, (with sound), > http://www.extron.co...ct.aspx?id=1747

Any news back about your COA?

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

coa keys are no longer on a sticker stuck anywhere on a pc, they are stored in the pc's uefi firmware now and it's very rare you'd get an install disc any more either, the usual is to have a recovery partition on the drive and you are expected to make your own recovery cd's/dvd's.

list of software to find the key :- http://pcsupport.abo...opkeyfinder.htm

belarc advisor is as good as anything.

:popcorn:

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Looking at the Speccy report, it looks like it hasn't been used very much, the hard drive reports a power on count of 49 times, and the power on time is 1.2 days.

Whoever returned it may well have had the same monitor problem you are seeing, however if it will fully boot via the TV it must be some compatibility problem with the ports as Iammykyl said.

Nev.

parrot feet

parrot feet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Phew, that's a lot of responses, thank you. I'll try and answer them all.

Firstly I have now retrieved the product key info etc via Magical Jelly Bean, so thanks for that. As for not supplying a CD any more, that would make sense, though I will have to make a recovery disc ASAP. I have an email to Zoostorm just to confirm this, so I will post back with the results.

I have yet to install my Norton, just making sure I will be keeping the computer first before I make any major changes. I have noted from a different topic to disable or uninstall MS Security Essentials so I'll be on that sharpish (once I install Norton).

Thanks for pointing out that its only been booted 49 times. That reassures me that it hasn't been used extensively by a previous owner, and seems likely it was the disgruntled bad reviewer who seems to have had the same monitor issue.

The HDD is quite loud, but it doesn't really bother me. The speed doesn't really bother me either, it loads a lot quicker than I'm used to!

As for the monitor, I'm afraid I really have no idea about cables, so I'll explain it as best I can. The cable I have appears to be a VGA cable, male to male, similar to the link posted to the extron website. There is only 2 ports on the base unit, the one I'm using which I assume is VGA and the other is labelled DVI. There is no HDMI port. On the monitor, as you point out, is only a D-SUB port. This cable I am using fits into my TV (which I am currently using), and when I unplugged it and put into the monitor, it just sits on standby and says 'no signal' even though it displays using the same cable on the TV. I did try and understand your post about this, I read it a couple of times, but I'm afraid it went over my head, so your thoughts would be appreciated again.

Thanks

Edited by parrot feet, 01 March 2015 - 04:23 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, cable connections can be very confusing.

The D-sub on the PC is the only one that can work connecting to D-sub on the monitor.

As you can get a picture on the TV using the same cable, there must be a driver installed in device manager, so can't see why it would not work on the monitro.

Please try the following.   With the monitor connected, restart the computer and enter the BIOS, does it display?

Did you use the same cable when connecting the laptop? 

parrot feet

parrot feet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes, it shows the zoostorm logo, then I press f2 For setup. Its a lot fancier than I'm used to. It even shows a windows related screen where you can run windows repair etc. Anything after that, into windows, it just shows no signal. It sounds odd I know. The only 2 screens I've tried it on its the monitor and the TV.

On another note, I have turned off my PC and am back on the tablet for now. The screen suddenly filled with spam in new tabs and windows by 'roll over ads', so I'm looking into that.

Edited by parrot feet, 01 March 2015 - 05:17 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That's a pain, looks like you need to visit the Security Forum, 

You said early er you used the tablet with the monitor, what cable did you use? does it still work?

parrot feet

parrot feet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Sorry that must have been a typo, I haven't used the monitor through my tablet. All the monitor has been used for is on a donated desktop which is quite old, but it all worked. I then plugged it into the new desktop, and that's when it started being weird. The only cable I have is a VGA cable.

That roll over thing came out of nowhere. Quite annoying but have found out its not malisious, just some pesky adware. Busy reading how to remove it.

parrot feet

parrot feet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hmmmm this monitor is really puzzling me now. Am i missing sometging completely obvious!? I thought I would try and drop the resolution, unplugged from the TV to the monitor, and nothing. I started in safe mode, switched to the monitor, and it works! So the monitor displays the zoostorm boot screen and BIOS menus, and windows in safe mode, but not windows in normal mode. The TV displays everything using the same cable.

Will let you know when I get a reply from zoostorm about the whole windows disc issue, if indeed I need one.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Have you created the recovery disc/USB media?

zoostorm May haver configured the computer with a recovery partitioLet's look at device manager.

In the run box, copy and paste the bolded text, diskmgmt.msc > click OK.

When the window opens, go full screen then take a screenshot and include in your next reply.

Your monitor may be displaying in safe mode as the resolution will be set very low.   While in safe mode can you access the OSD for the monitor and reset to factory setting.   Can't be of great help as unable to find a manual for the monitor. 

Crazy one, try reversing the lead. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

there are 2 reasons why a monitor won't display when booted into windows normally yet you see the boot screen usually, the first as iammykyl as pointed out is incorrect resolution setting and the second is incorrect refresh rate setting.

so say for example the monitor can display a max resolution of 1280x720 at a refresh rate of 60htz but for some reason because the monitor reports itself incorrectly to the windows os or something along those lines, windows thinks it can display 1280x1024 at 75htz so that is what it sets and of course now it is out of range of the monitor so nothing gets displayed.

so your going to need to set the resolution manually before it will work in normal mode with that monitor, this link should help you do that :- https://www.winhelp....in-windows.html

:popcorn:

according to this link the max resolution for that monitor is 1440x900@75htz but recommended to use at 1440x900@60htz so if you set either number at anything above that then no display. :-  http://www.emprex.co...s_02.php?id=170

Edited by terry1966, 02 March 2015 - 10:27 AM.