Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New laptop restarts while playing games

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

How are things going lostone, can you either update or conclude your thread and not leave it hanging please..

Advertisements

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Hi sorry for the late reply, I sent my laptop in for a check up. The following message that they sent me was.

"The fault appears to have been a conflict between the wireless card and EC firmware. The chassis was crashing without BSOD and on reboot would silently (without display) BSOD with 0x9f. I have updated the EC Firmware and the wireless and Bluetooth drivers for the Killer 1525 and the system has not crashed since.

Hope its helpful for anyone with the issue.

Laptop still crashing, I have attached the following crash dumps.

Edited by lostone, 18 March 2015 - 05:25 AM.

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

trying to upload crash dumps but it doesn't seem to work. I used BlueScreenView program and I'm getting the following

ntoskrnl.exe

nvlddmkm.sys

nwifi.sys

Edited by lostone, 18 March 2015 - 05:51 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

turn off auto restart to see if it allows you to see any possible error messages;

Was this done.

I just had "Blue Screen: Driver-irql-not-less-or-equal" But no crash dump??

Was that all the on screen message said?

Turn off DV please > Click Start and then type verifier /reset

Can you tell us what AV software protection you have installed and if you have a Windows 7 disk.

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 
Tip
If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Here it is

Attached Files

Edited by lostone, 18 March 2015 - 03:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Disable DV as detailed and can you also answer the highlighted questions for us.

Nvidea drivers are identified in your last crash dump which we can help with, you will however need to help us to help you by answering each question that is asked and following any steps suggested.

BUGCHECK_STR:  0xc4_62

IMAGE_NAME:  nvlddmkm.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  54d3b001

MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm

FAULTING_MODULE: fffff88005aa8000 nvlddmkm

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I have followed you're steps to turn off AV. I have a Windows 7 disc and I have turnd off auto restart But I don't follow the rest sorry

Oh I have AVG Anti virus program.

Edited by lostone, 19 March 2015 - 06:02 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Ok you are where we need to be with the troubleshooting steps, good that you have your W7 disk - hopefully it will not be needed though.

Come back to AVG if needs be.

Create a new folder on your desktop and name it something like Nvidea 980M drivers, download and save to the folder the latest drivers from here

Create a new restore point.

Download/run Display Driver Uninstaller which is available from here

Restart the computer in Safe Mode, install the new drivers that you previously saved, restart the notebook and test.

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Hi Phill I'm doing it right now, sorry for the delay.

The only problem i don't know how to use Display driver installer, what are the steps. Also will it screw up my laptop if I done wrong?

Edited by lostone, 25 March 2015 - 09:16 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

It has been almost a week so before doing anything I would suggest that if you are not presently having any problem/s with the computer leave well alone.

RE from my reply #3, did you get around to purchasing a better, more appropriate power strip to protect your valuable notebook and other hardware;

A UPS with built in surge protection would be best but as a minimum a good quality surge protector should be used to protect your hardware, example here

Advertisements

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

It has been almost a week so before doing anything I would suggest that if you are not presently having any problem/s with the computer leave well alone.

RE from my reply #3, did you get around to purchasing a better, more appropriate power strip to protect your valuable notebook and other hardware;

A UPS with built in surge protection would be best but as a minimum a good quality surge protector should be used to protect your hardware, example here

Hey, no I have not bought a surge protector yet as i have not had the money, i will get the one you recommended as soon as i get my payment. I just want to say thank you for taking the time to help. 

I did contact my pc suppler and they said just to up date my Nvidia card, it seems fine for the moment. Thanks once again, take care. 

Stijn v 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the update Iostone  :thumbsup:

Give us a shout if you need to between now and when you obtain your new surge protector, fingers crossed and good luck.

You are welcome btw  :)

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Phill it crashed again unexpectedly, I got no crash dump but it says Kernel power reading in advent viewer at the time of crash. I contacted laptop provider. I am a little lost here. What should I do?

It seams to only happen when playing games.

I followed one step from this article: http://www.registryr...andom-restarts/

I typed SFC /SCANNOW in commend prompted and it fixed a corrupted file. Now looking at other steps.

Edited by lostone, 16 April 2015 - 02:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Can you explain what you mean by "it crashed" as in did it shut down and restart, freeze or blue screen etc, any on screen warning message.

It seams to only happen when playing games.

Typical of overheating, you would normally get an onscreen warning/error message if it were this.

Give us a shout if you need to between now and when you obtain your new surge protector

Do you have a new surge protector yet, you will not receive any Windows error message or crash dump for sudden loss of mains power.

I followed one step from this article: http://www.registryr...andom-restarts/

It is not good practice to follow the guidance of more than one tech forum or to troubleshoot on your own while receiving assistance from any tech forum/s, it can lead to confusion as to whose guidance you are following, cause you to make mistakes and lead to a blame game should something go wrong.

Recommended steps;

1: If not done yet, replace the surge protector.

2: Follow up your contact with the notebook provider.

NB: Being as you have a notebook the text below from the link in your reply #28 contains both relevant and non relevant information hence the strike through I have done;

Power Issues
It should not be neglected, that a prompt restart without closing the processes can also be resulted from a power disruption. It is just like sucking blood out of a human’s body. Review your power supply route and identify if there is a possibility of power cut. Such power disruption do not only restarts your computer, but also damages other components of your computer. If this is your case, be hurried and find a quick solution to it. To diagnose a power issue behind your random restart, comply with the following.
Replace the power cables and observe if the problem still persists
Replace the power supply unit and observe if the problem still persists
Examine your motherboard for any broken power connector and replace it
Spot the instable peripheral power source
In the last case, integrate your system with a UPS or other instant power backup. It is most probable that you would have mended your system against the subject issue, and reinstated an uninterrupted functioning.

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

The screen just went black with no warning and then restarted. I haven't had time to get a surge protector as i been on holiday but i will hopefully get one this week.

I just had the right speaker failed yesterday, so I'm bringing it in. Odd thing it start working today.

Regards 

I will get back to you when i get it back from laptop provider, Hope you had nice weekend. regards

Edited by lostone, 18 April 2015 - 01:12 PM.