Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to lock down a new router - keep getting hacked.

• Please log in to reply

PaddyAhhh

PaddyAhhh

• Pip
  • 1 posts

How do I find what ports should be open/blocked...

I change the password to something really difficult and still same problem.

It's 1 router with 1 ethernet connection and 4 Wireless devices..

But I think someone has previously logged into old router and chnaged the firmware down.. going by what I seen, also all ports get opened on my laptop.. and on other router i had, 2 ports would be open and around 12 pm each night 6 would be open.. 21 22, 135 443 and coupe of others..

also seen programson ssh called dropbear...

have a new router i just need any advice i can get..

Also when i tried sign up to this forum and another forum for help it said Im not allowed use the forum? am i banned for some strange reason?

Only using my Unis pcs now so it allowed me to register.

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Hello 1st thing I would do is unplug the router and set it to factory settings, then I would turn off remote access and change the admin password to a long one using upper and lower case letters, numbers and + * . / ? those kind of things all mixed up I would make it at least 15 characters. Also do the same thing with your wireless password and set it to wpa2. If you don't use wireless turn it off. Then plug the internet back in and update the firm ware. You really need to give a make of router as all routers have different settings you can apply to make safer, without knowing makes it hard to say. You can also test certain aspects of your security using sites like Gibson Research Corporation's shields up and other free tests they offer, but you will need to give a make of router for anyone to be able to help properly. Hope that was a tiny bit useful HolyCowz

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

no ports should be open unless you specifically need them open because your running something that needs open ports, eg. if your running a ftp or game server then they would need open ports.

usually for most people though no ports should be open.

for the wireless access use wpa2 encryption and limit access to only allowed devices by mac address also hide the ssid, just makes things harder for someone to gain unauthorised access to it.

make sure all devices connected to your network are clean from malware too.

:popcorn:

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

I change the password to something really difficult and still same problem.

When you say you changed the password, are you referring to the WiFi password?  Or the administrator password to make configuration changes on the actual router?  Both will need to be changed.

The default username/password on most routers is something like:

username = admin 
password = password

Be sure to change that default password, as this could allow a stranger to lock you out of your own WiFi (causing you to do a factory reset to regain access).