Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 won't start up, needs to be factory reset

• Please log in to reply

Provy18

Provy18

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi, can someone help me? i have a windows 7 xps computer that needs to be factory reset but i dont have the disc. ive tried ctrl+f11, ctrl+f12, and alt+f10 but nothing works. i don't know much about computers but everytime it gets past the dell loading screen it just takes me to dell media direct. idk whats wrong with my computer but all i do know is that the person who gave it to me, gve it to me filled with viruses for god knows why without me knowing. does anybody know what i could do?

=

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi Provy18 :)

Did you try the following method, under Restore the computer's software to original condition:

http://www.dell.com/...04/SLN117599/EN

Provy18

Provy18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

i'll go try it out now and see if that works. thank you!

Provy18

Provy18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

where would the control panel option be when i turn on my computer? or is it a button? i can imagine how stupid i sound but i really have no clue about computers

Provy18

Provy18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

i also got to the advanced boot options but it doesnt have a repair your computer option, so what do i do?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
What options do you have when you are in the Recovery PE (when pressing on F8)?

Provy18

Provy18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, enable boot logging, enable low-resolution video (640x480), last known good configuration (advanced) (<- i tried that before and it didnt work), directory services restore mode, debugging mode, disable automatic restart on system failure, disable driver signature enforcement, and start windows normally.(<- also tried that but it didn't help either)

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, and you don't have the original installation CD that came with the computer right? Does your friend have them? Otherwise without them you won't be able to do a Factory Reset.

Provy18

Provy18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

no i don't have a disc, i might have at some point but i don't have the slightest clue where it would be. 

Provy18

Provy18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

thanks for the help anyways

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
A Factory Reset can only do when you have the "factory" image of a system, which is either on an installation disk, or in a built-in partition on the hard drive. If you have neither, you cannot do a Factory Reset. You might be able to order a recovery CD from Dell directly, for your computer model.