Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet drops briefly and at random times

• Please log in to reply

Lyrikmd

Lyrikmd

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I am a Digis customer (only thing available in my location.). I've had their service for 3.5 months now, the first 3 being great. I now get fluctuations in my internet that shut off the signal completely it seems for a brief amount of time. For example: I can sit on the xbox live home page and watch live drop long enough for my friends list to go away then come back. Usually when this happens I noticed a wireless signal on my iPhone but wasn't able to load a page. I've called multiple times to digis and have been reassured that it isn't on their end (of course). So I've purchased a new netgear ac1750 router. Long story short..... I still have the same problems. Please help I'm at my wits end

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello Lyrikmd... and :welcome:

Please provide us with a few additional details to help us get started with your troubleshooting:

1) Does this problem occur on all your devices on the network, both wired and wireless?  What brand/model computer are you using?  What Operating System?

2) Did anything change after those first 3 months before the issue occurred? (Driver update, hardware/software installation, etc?)

Lyrikmd

Lyrikmd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

Ya it happens to wireless and wired all at the same time. The laptop we have is a MacBook and I'm sorry but I don't know the operating system on it. As far as I'm aware nothing software or hardware wise had changed, at least not on our end. Although it might be worth noting that when this problem started to occur (Thursday February 26th) I called my ISP and they said people in my area were experiencing connection problems. According to them it has been repaired and was only a power loss to the tower I am pointed at. I'm sorry that I don't have more info. :(

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

No problem... hopefully we will be able to figure out the issue!

No worries, you have provided adequate information.  The next thing(s) I would like for you to check is the cable(s). 

Have you tried replacing the ethernet cable from the modem to the router?  Does the problem persist when plugged directly in from the modem (using a good cable)?

Lyrikmd

Lyrikmd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry I took so long to reply. I had to give it time to see. Because like I said it's very sporadic. I replaced the cable from modem to router with a new one. Didn't help. I also tried to bypass the router and go Ethernet straight to Xbox which also didn't help. 😔

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Lyrikmd,

If you have confirmed that a direct wired connection from the modem to your network device(s) still produces the problem, I am thinking that the modem is faulty or it's a problem with something on their end..

Perhaps someone else can chime in with their 2 cents, but personally I would call the ISP.  Let them know that you tested a direct connection and still had the problem.  They should be able to simply replace that hardware for you (you may have to run to their central office to swap it out).

:smashcomp:

Sorry for any inconvenience. 

Lyrikmd

Lyrikmd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I will pester them some more and hopefully convince them that it is one their end. Thanks for the assistance, it's greatly appreciated!!

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

No worries... just keep us updated on how things turn out after speaking with them again.  :spoton: