Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Experience Index. Video problem

• Please log in to reply

msiyer

msiyer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Dear All,

The windows experience index (WEI) for my HP  probook 4520S suddenly vanished after installing a few mandatory windows updates.

I attach all the screenshots including the error message displayed on dos prompt generated today. Of course, I am able to run the videos without any hitch.

However, I do not like to have any such errors which may escalate into further issues.

Kindly advise.

Thanks

RMS

Attached Thumbnails

• Error.JPG
  • ATI 1.JPG
  • ATI.JPG
  • WEI ERROR 10 MARCH.JPG

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello msiyer, and :welcome:

Here are some things to check before running the Windows Experience Index (WEI).

•       Quit all running programs and reboot the computer before running the (WEI) assessment.
  •       Check with the computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for any BIOS updates.
  •       Check to make sure you have the latest Windows 7 compatible drivers for the installed Graphics Device (Video Card).
  •       If you have any third party media players installed, uninstall them until the WEI assessment is complete.
  •       If you have installed any third party media Codecs, try uninstalling them until the WEI assessment is complete.

Open Windows Explorer and go to the  C:\WINDOWS\Performance\WinSAT  folder.

You should see the following 8 video files.

2 files with the  .mp4  file extension.

3 files with the  .mpg  file extension.

3 files with the  .wmv  file extension.

Double click each of these files. They should open and play in Windows Media Player. These are the files that the WEI runs to assess the Video Performance.

One thing to remember is that the WEI score is only an indicator of the capabilities of the main hardware components on the computer. It does not have any effect on the performance of the system.

Let us know what you find.

Regards

msiyer

msiyer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello msiyer, and :welcome:

Here are some things to check before running the Windows Experience Index (WEI).

•       Quit all running programs and reboot the computer before running the (WEI) assessment.
  •       Check with the computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for any BIOS updates.
  •       Check to make sure you have the latest Windows 7 compatible drivers for the installed Graphics Device (Video Card).
  •       If you have any third party media players installed, uninstall them until the WEI assessment is complete.
  •       If you have installed any third party media Codecs, try uninstalling them until the WEI assessment is complete.

Open Windows Explorer and go to the  C:\WINDOWS\Performance\WinSAT  folder.

You should see the following 8 video files.

2 files with the  .mp4  file extension.

3 files with the  .mpg  file extension.

3 files with the  .wmv  file extension.

Double click each of these files. They should open and play in Windows Media Player. These are the files that the WEI runs to assess the Video Performance.

One thing to remember is that the WEI score is only an indicator of the capabilities of the main hardware components on the computer. It does not have any effect on the performance of the system.

Let us know what you find.

Regards

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have checked all the solutions including the one suggested above.

Since videos run properly, I am really perplexed.

The only valuable clue is the error message generated today when I ran the WEI test in command prompt.

Can you please look into the error and let me know your views?

Thanks again

RMS

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

msiyer,

Do you by chance have K-Lite codec installed on the machine?  If so, you may want to reinstall it, or remove it altogether. 

Alternatively, I saw someone mention elsewhere that DOWNLOADING it helped them solve the problem.

You can download the latest version of K-Lite codec by clicking here, checking the K-Lite box, pressing the green Get Installer button, and then RUN the download.

Additionally, I saw where someone else fixed the issue by launching the command prompt and running the "sfc /scannow".

I will continue to look for alternative solutions (besides system restore and/or deleting windows update), but please let us know if K-lite or the SFC helped solve the issue.

:popcorn:

msiyer

msiyer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Dear Fusionbomb,

I already ran the diagnostic tool "sfc/scannow . It did not show any error.

Please inform how to check whether  k-lite codec is already installed in this machine. I will try to uninstall it before trying to install it by following the link sent by you.

BTW, can you please inform your views on the error report sent by me when I ran the WEI test in DOS mode ?

Thanks

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Dear Fusionbomb,

I already ran the diagnostic tool "sfc/scannow . It did not show any error.

Please inform how to check whether  k-lite codec is already installed in this machine. I will try to uninstall it before trying to install it by following the link sent by you.

BTW, can you please inform your views on the error report sent by me when I ran the WEI test in DOS mode ?

Thanks

msiyer,

As FreeBooter stated the Control Panel > Programs & Features should contain it.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "my views".  If you're just asking for my opinion on the importance of this error, I would say it's not important at all.  I understand it's frustrating to have an absurd error on something that seems to work fine. 

However, if the WEI is the only thing that gives you an error or problem, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.  As long as you can play videos without crashing and everything else functions normally, that's the important thing.  Again, the WEI is just a Windows Rating system for bragging rights, essentially.

Good luck!

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

To answer the question regarding the error shown in the DOS type screen, it isn't a real amount of use as it just tells us what we already know, that the WEI is throwing up an error.

If you go back to the C:\WINDOWS\Performance\WinSAT

And then check that all the video's in it play OK I don't think there is much to worry about. At least if there is some underlying problem, looking in this area isn't going to help and it will be only if some other problem shows up that a diagnosis may be possible. At this stage, considering everything else appears OK on the computer, there isn't much can be done or needs to be worried about.

Nev.

msiyer

msiyer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Plastic Nev & Fusionbomb,

Thank You. I agree with both of you. Since the videos run as usual, I am also not interested to dig deep into this issue. 

However, since this machine is out of warranty cover and HP carepack is no longer available, I may have to sell it soon. in that event, WEI score may be an issue. Do you think  a clean install  of WIN 7 will resolve it? I have original  OS & driver CDs sent by HP long time back.

Thanks again.

RMS

Edited by msiyer, 12 March 2015 - 01:06 AM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

If selling it, then certainly reinstall Windows, that will at least give the buyer a clean computer, and let them worry about all the updates it will need after that, and certainly the reinstall should cure the WEI score problem as well.

Nev.

msiyer

msiyer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Nev,

Thank you. I have attached the diagnostic report generated by the system. Does it give any clue? Can you please suggest any remedial steps?

Regards,

RMS

Attached Files

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

One important thing is that it is reporting you don't have an antivirus installed or active, as a matter of urgency and for your own protection you should install one, have a look at the G2G recommendations in the malware section for a good free one.

The rest of the report should be self explanatory!

Nev.

msiyer

msiyer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Nev,

Thank you. Avast AV is alive and kicking though I do not kwow why the report failed to capture it. Is there anything else requiring my attention  in the report ?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi,

Two devices are mentioned, a realtek PCIe card is disabled, which you may already know about, and there are no drivers installed for a Bluetooth device, which again you may already know about.

The rest of the report suggests the basic hardware is not very good performance wise. To be honest, it looks like a basic computer with a low end processor, not much RAM or low speed RAM, the hard drive may be getting a bit full or is in serious need of a defrag, and graphics is also a bit basic, no doubt is the on board graphics if no other card is fitted.

About the only thing I can suggest is, if needed, address the issues with the Realtek card and Bluetooth.

Then firstly run a defrag, and then a disk clean up. Uninstall any unwanted or no longer used programs, and delete any unwanted data which will improve the hard drive somewhat.

The processor, I wouldn't bother with as it is obviously good enough for your needs.

The RAM, without me looking up the specs, you might be able to fit some more if there is room and the motherboard can take it which may give some small improvement on performance.

There could well be some other improvements, however they would require spending money which may not be worth it.

If the computer does all you need, after all it runs Video OK, so it can't be too bad, so leave well enough alone.

Nev.