Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New user but BIG problem!

• Please log in to reply

SpencerClark

SpencerClark

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all,

Just joined today but bare with me as i explain what's what..........

We had a power surge which caused all the electric equipment to turn off.

When the PC rebooted, it keept blue screening during boot with a "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" error even in safe mode. Trying to boot into Windows Recovery console yielded the same message.

PC World (UK) told us the only way to fix it would be to buy a emergancy boot cd and use that to recover to the factory installation of XP (as it came without operating system discs)

However, I managed to get it back up by creating a dos boot disc containing "NTFSChk.exe" which allowed me to run chkdsk on an NTFS partition from DOS. This identified and fixed a whole string of problems, then on rebooting, XP started up as normal.

But.. On trying to start any application, or even viewing the control panel, it hung for ages before throwing up a RunDLL error. I managed to run a System Restore to restore all my system DLL's back to as they were a few days prior.

All seems resonably ok now, apart from the occasional blue screen at random occasions. I can't really track down anything in particular that is running when this happens.

So what I'd like to know is:

1) How did this problem happen in the first place. Would it definatly be the power surge?

2) Does it sound like we need to backup all our data and rebuild the o.s from scratch again?

Thanks in advance,

Spencer

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Backing up the data would be good anyway, backing up and restoring with the recovery disc would be better, getting an XP Home OEM Disc for £50 would be even better long term.

A power surge rather than a power cut could well give this result

jdm

jdm

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Edited.

Edited by jdm, 12 June 2005 - 04:42 PM.

SpencerClark

SpencerClark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts