Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboards mysterisouly stop working.

• Please log in to reply

Chamelion

Chamelion

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Not sure if it shoudl go udner here or hardware, but I havea  bizarre issue going on.

I have a Windows 8.1 and this morning I wake up, try to log into my account, and find out the keyboard stops working, but the mouse is working fine. The reason why I find this odd is because both units are in a wireless universal USB device, which makes it even more confusing as to why the mouse works, but the keyboard does not. The onyl way for the keyboard to work is to unplug the USB and plug it back in, or restart the computer.

As if that wasn't bad enough, If I or someone else using the computer decide to switch to the other's account, the keyboard once again stops working, and doesn't respond at the login screen, so we would either reboot or replug the USB.

Now I took it s tep further, thinking that there was something wrong with the keyboard (It's a Logitech), so I grab the wired keyboard that the computer came with, plug it in...

...and it does the same results. It works until I try to switch over to the other log in screen, then stops working altogether.

I've tried looking in search forums about how to resolve this issue but so far all I got was peopel having issues with BOTH the mouse and Keyboard, but for me it's keyboards only, not the mouse.

As of writing this I've done the following:

-Replaced the batteries on the keyboard. Still didn't get a response, and anyway the wired keyboard gets the same treatment.

-Powered off, then on, the system, instead of restarting.

-Did a system restore to an earlier event. i thought it worked for a moment, but then it stopped once again.

-Ran a virus scan. Currently doing that now, actually, though I'm not sure if it'll pick up anything.

I'm going nuts here, because the computer is fairly new (October of last year, specifically) and it didn't act up until today. I don't understand why.

Advertisements

Avonien

Avonien

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello Chamelion,

As the issue has started around the same period as problems that other users are facing I would suggest trying to use the same temporary fix since the issue sometimes only shows up on either the keyboard or the mouse, but not both of them at the same time.

Windows + R
Type in "msconfig"
Go to "Services"
Find "Intel ® Technology Access Service"
Untick the box to disable service
Apply
Ok
Restart Pc

Chamelion

Chamelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

okay, thanks for the reply. I did some searching around and noticed a couple things that may help in resolving this issue.

For one, I did a system restore to a date before the most recent windows update, and it works fine. Windows update occurs, then is stops working. Apparently one of the installations is affecting the keyboard, though I don't know which one.

So I did a bing search, and there's a Microsoft support post about that closely confirms my suspicion - specifically an installation program that gets added in labeled KB000850 - which was also in one of the available installations for the windows update. Perhaps something occurring with that specific program/update could be the cause of the keyboard?