Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

references for learning the basics of website architecture

• Please log in to reply

davidmcb

davidmcb

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Greetings,

I see a lot of HTML tutorials, and other development goodies.  What I would like to find is a good book or tutorial on the basic architecture and mechanics of websites.  For example, what exactly is the role of wwwroot, does everything that is live on a site sitting in wwwroot, or do other files play a role,  how can one set up modifications to your site and test them, how do you cut over new code onto the live site, how can new features like blogs or photo albums or visitor comments, or ecommerce be grafted onto a basic site.

Is this "one level up" stuff offered in any form for relative novices?

Thanks!

Advertisements

geekgirlcarrot

geekgirlcarrot

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi,

I'm just getting started with HTML but a book that I can really recommend is "HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites" by Jon Duckett or you could also take the 2014 version which includes JavaScript and jQuery. Personally I have created a personal website using a very easy drag and drop website builder by 1and1 but now I'm planning to make some more advanced modifications. On the long term I want to get into more advanced web dev and coding but for a starters the book by Jon Ducket has helped me quite a bit.

I am also finding W3Schools and Codeacademy very useful.

Cheers,

Olivia

davidmcb

davidmcb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Thank you for all your suggestions!