Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pretty Good Protection

pgp

• Please log in to reply

totalnoob

totalnoob

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I installed PGP, but I don't understand how it is more useful than typical password protection.

I know about the public key to encrypt files sent to you by others, and the private key only the original user has to decrypt the files encrypted by his correspondents. And I know the public and private keys are impossibly long to remember or even crack with supercomputers and brute force. So I guess this is pretty good for transmitting files by email from Point A to Point B.

But what about files that reside on your own hard drive? Your private key is right there, located in a file that is kept in a known place within the app's own programming, and bearing a descriptive file name to indicate that what it is. The key is called out and applied when the user's app is launched and works after he simply enters the passphrase that he is keeping in is head.  Chances are that even if he is working from a library or some other public station, that he has the private key with him on a thumbdrive or something to make sure he can open encrypted incoming email.

So the question is, if someone gets your private key by getting your thumbdrive or having stolen your computer, and then then really all it does take to decrypt stored files is brute force to get the passphrase, exactly how are you safer than you are using something much less complicated, like ABC Chaos, which has no public or private keys, just an encryption formula based on a guessable password?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello totalnoob... and :welcome:

If someone has your private key, then it's not safer than any other method of security.

Click here for FAQ's regarding PGP.