Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Video Input Message After CPU Upgrade (Solved)

Best Answer Ragnaromyo , 20 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

Thanks a mill for your help phillpower2! I managed to get the problem sorted.  For anyone else who may have the same problem here's how I solved it. Powered down pc and removed all RAM ex... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Ragnaromyo

Ragnaromyo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi everyone. This is quite a story...

I bought the following MSI H61M-P25 Motherboard and i3 2120 CPU. I get a No Video Input message and then enters sleep mode on the mobo DVI port (works fine on VGA port) and when I connect it to my graphics card (MSI N450GTS CYCLONE). I've tried several DVI Adapters with no luck. Bought a new LED Analog and Digital (DVI and VGA Ports) Monitor and only got it working on the DVI port on the mobo but not graphics card. So I bought 2nd hand ASUS GTX480 to see what will happen and it worked. I finally got display on the graphics card with both LCD and LED Monitors.

Now comes the tricky bit!

I bought an upgrade CPU i5 3470 and installed it and when I switched on the PC the GTX480 has the same problem, no video input with both LCD and LED monitors. There's no option in the Bios to switch to graphics card (that I can see) and Bios is updated. I'm really stuck as none of my 3D applications which I use are working. I'm getting no 3D capability error. I'm doing my work on my other pc but that's reserved for games and personal use.  Don't know what to do next. All I can think is that the integrated graphics on the CPUs are prioritizing it's graphics and switching off the graphics card? There's no sign of the graphics card in the device manager so I'm guessing windows doesn't detect the graphics card.

So to sum up Graphics card was giving signal but after CPU upgrade I'm getting No Video Input. The graphics card still works as I tested it in my other PC again.

Any help will be appreciated!

CPU works, ram works, mobo works, hard drives work, graphics card works, power supply works, cables work as I've tested them separately in my other PC. The setup does post because if I plug the DVI cable into the motherboard's DVI port I see windows login screen plus I can hear the windows boot up sound. The PCI-E lane works as well. I plugged in a friend's graphics card which has VGA and DVI, and only the VGA works and not the DVI.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ragnaromyo, 18 March 2015 - 01:18 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    Ragnaromyo,

Can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

I bought an upgrade CPU i5 3470 and installed it and when I switched on the PC the GTX480 has the same problem, no video input with both LCD and LED monitors.

I surmise that you mean video output and not input but not sure what you mean by "both LCD and LED monitors"

Please explain.

There's no option in the Bios to switch to graphics card (that I can see) 

When an add on video card is detected by the BIOS any integrated graphics are disabled by default, this setting can be manually changed in the BIOS on some MBs but you do not appear to have done this based on the info provided so basically for whatever reason the MB is not detecting the add on video card, suggestion, restart the computer, access the BIOS, restore the MBs default factory settings (sometimes listed as "most stable settings") shut down the computer, connect your display to the add on video card, restart the computer and see what happens.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Ragnaromyo

Ragnaromyo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi thanks for reply phillpower2.

PSU Corsair RM850 - Corsair.

The message is No Video Input but I guessing is it kind of the same thing? It shows the same message on both the LCD monitor and LED monitor. After the message appears it goes into sleep mode.

I have tried reseting Bios and default settings several times before. I tried again now as you mentioned but still no luck. The Bios only has Restore to Default Settings. The odd thing is if I use my friend's graphics card which has a DVI and VGA port, I only get display on the VGA port and not on DVI port. So the pci-e lane works and as I mentioned no DVI adapters work.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Ragnaromyo,

Very good PSU so no shortage of power

The message is No Video Input 

Are you aware that this is the monitors telling you this and not the computer.

Have you tried an alternative video cable.

Do you get a BIOS screen when either display is connected to the add on video card.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key when you restart the computer.

While you are troubleshooting this may I suggest that you stick with only having the one screen attached to the add on video card.

You are welcome btw  :)

Ragnaromyo

Ragnaromyo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks a mill for your help phillpower2! I managed to get the problem sorted. 

For anyone else who may have the same problem here's how I solved it. Powered down pc and removed all RAM except the 2GB RAM module. Removed the CPU and graphics card. Inserted only the CPU with no graphics card and booted into the bios. The Bios detected the removal of the RAM and possibly the reinstalled CPU. Shutdown PC again and installed the graphics card and Bob's your uncle. So I guess it matters the order your install the components as I installed the new CPU after installing the graphics card and that's why it wasn't detected.

Thanks again phillpower2!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That is great news and thanks for sharing how the issue was resolved so that it may help others  :thumbsup:

A job well done on your behalf btw Ragnaromyo  :yes: