Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with iTunes uninstall and reinstall

• Please log in to reply

LizMac42

LizMac42

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I have been having problems with itunes software for some time and now cannot open it at all.

I want to uninstall it and install again.  I have backed up (copied) my iTunes file to my hard drive though don't know what to do with it when I have reinstalled iTunes.

Would I restore the whole file or would I just install the file which holds the music and podcasts?

I would be grateful for advice as I find iTunes very difficult to manage but have to use it a I have an ipod Nano which I use at the gym.

Advertisements

Caliburn

Caliburn

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

You shouldn't really need to backup anything, as most of your music and software (that you have purchased from iTunes) is linked to your Apple ID, not your computer. If you have music that you've imported, you'd probably want to backup that from your Music directory (if you're using Windows 7/8, it's in the iTunes folder in your Music library), and restore that to the same place.

LizMac42

LizMac42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I don't know if I have an Apple ID - I haven't anything stored in my Password Manager and can't get into iTunes.  Do you get one automatically when you download iTunes?

Caliburn

Caliburn

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Whenever you purchase something it will prompt you to enter your Apple ID. It should have prompted you to create one (or log into an existing) when you installed iTunes.

LizMac42

LizMac42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Have just followed a link to 'find your apple ID'  I entered all the info and details of last em address and got the info that it couldn't find it.  So I started trying to make a new apple id.   I tried 3 times and each time when I tried to log in it told me something was wrong.  On one that I had entered the wrong birth date - which  I hadn't as I made a screen shot.  I tried 3 times and gave up - apple obviously don't want a 70+ year old.

LizMac42

LizMac42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Meant to say that I have never purchased anything from apple apart from my iPod, which was a gift 10 years ago - perhaps that's my problem.

Caliburn

Caliburn

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Try manually backing up your music onto a pen drive then restoring it to your library. That should work. 

LizMac42

LizMac42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks Caliburn - that's what I will do - I have already backed up onto a hard-drive so I will uninstall and reinstall iTunes.  Is it quite easy to reinstall the backed up folder?

LizMac42

LizMac42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I uninstalled iTunes and then reinstalled it.  I thought I would have to restore all my music and podcasts from the backup I made.  However when I went into my newly installed iTunes it was loaded with all my music and podcasts.   Don't know how they do this - seems like magic to me.

This may be useful for others who are having similar problems.

Thanks again everyone.

Caliburn

Caliburn

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

I uninstalled iTunes and then reinstalled it.  I thought I would have to restore all my music and podcasts from the backup I made.  However when I went into my newly installed iTunes it was loaded with all my music and podcasts.   Don't know how they do this - seems like magic to me.

This may be useful for others who are having similar problems.

Thanks again everyone.

Glad it went well :) (it may be because your iTunes library is stored in your "Music" library, forgot about that)