Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What skills do you need to become a good web developer?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

geekgirlcarrot

geekgirlcarrot

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi, I'm Olivia, 16 years old and I guess I've always been a bit geeky. I'm currently working on my first website and learning HTML and CSS. I'm also quite keen on photoshop. I also want to learn PHP, MySQL and video editing at some point, but for now I'm still quite busy with my first web project, eventhough it's still quite basic.

I think that I'm quite creative and would love to become a web developer one day, ideally working freelance.

So which skills are the most important for a good web developer to have? What do you think that I should be focusing on?

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello geekgirlcarrot,

Below are a couple of links you may find educational:

http://www.ukwda.org...a-web-developer

https://www.odesk.co...-web-developer/

Good luck!  :spoton:

Lucky123

Lucky123

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
To be a Web Developer doesn't really require any skills, but you must be willing to Learn & have the patience to be able to learn.

I suggest using www.codeacademy.com to help your learn web programming!

geekgirlcarrot

geekgirlcarrot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks for answering Fusion & Lucky :)

@Lucky123: Yes codeacademy.com is really great and you are right that patience is most important when learning web dev and coding. Which is kinda my problem, because I tend to get easily frustrated :upset:

@Fusion: Thanks tons for the articles! They really give a great overview

But sometimes I think that since I already find HTML/CSS quite difficult, maybe I wouldn't make such a good web dev after all. I guess web design would be more suitable.

Edited by geekgirlcarrot, 27 March 2015 - 09:19 AM.

Lucky123

Lucky123

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Thanks for answering Fusion & Lucky :)

@Lucky123: Yes codeacademy.com is really great and you are right that patience is most important when learning web dev and coding. Which is kinda my problem, because I tend to get easily frustrated :upset:

@Fusion: Thanks tons for the articles! They really give a great overview

But sometimes I think that since I already find HTML/CSS quite difficult, maybe I wouldn't make such a good web dev after all. I guess web design would be more suitable.

Your not by yourself, I get frustrated sometimes too, Maybe you could try taking short breaks while learning?

Olamsolution

Olamsolution

• Pip
  • 2 posts

First of all we need to know what is Web Development. It is bacically is working on the technical aspects of a website.The some skills must have in Web Developer.
1. Must-Have Coding Knowledge
2. Beyond the Basics
3. Become a Master Researcher

Zelna

Zelna

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

In order to become a website developer, you must have following skills -

1. Knowledge of HTML

2. Knowledge of CSS

3. Knowledge of Javascript

4. Knowledge of any backend software such as MySQL or SQL Server

5. Knowledge of any framework such as ASP.NET or PHP

You can also use Free and Premium After Effects Templates to make stunning websites, videos, animations and other media presentations. I hope you'll find my answer useful.

JackA

JackA

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Knowledge of HTML + CSS (ajax can also complement your HTML and CSS skills), junderstanding of PHP, and databases like MySQL. These are basics.

Sindy89

Sindy89

• Pip
  • 2 posts

The main thing you need is a strong desire to become a web developer. When you made up your mind you can write a plan what to do in a chosen period of time. You can use this plan:

1. Spend your first month learning HTML and CSS, the codes used to write websites. And make a simple website.
  2. Learn front-end development (JavaScript) - the second and third months. It is a coding language that makes websites interactive. It’s a good language to learn for two reasons: it requires no installation and you can use it to build upon your HTML and CSS website.
  3. Back-end development (PHP or Ruby) - the fourth and fifth months. The last piece of the web development puzzle is back-end development. If you can create a website and write both front-end and back-end scripts, you’ll be a well-rounded coder indeed.

Sincerely yours, http://www.iflexion.com/

kavinsac

kavinsac

• Pip
  • 7 posts
1. Front End Knowledge  - JS, HTML, CSS
2. Back-end Knowledge  - PHP, Java
3. Databases - MySql, Microsoft SQL Server
4. Frameworks - CakePHP, Yii

Advertisements

atifn79

atifn79

• Pip
  • 6 posts

The following is a must for a professional web developer:
- HTML/XHTML/DHTML
- CSS
- JavaScript
- DOM/AJAX

a.) If you are going Microsoft-based all you need to learn is C#, drop VB(.NET). What you can do in C# you can do in VB(.NET) and vice-versa. ASP(VBScript) or what we call 'ASP Classic' is already considered obsolete, drop it too.

b.) Though I'm not very much familiar with the following, it is popular for being cross-platform, an advantage you can abuse:
- PHP(Free) or JSP
- Perl or Python

If your server is Windows-based, go for "a.)"
If Mac/Unix/Linux-based, go for "b.)"

And as the other answerer have suggested, you also must learn atleast one database engine:
- MsSQL
- MySql(Free)
- Oracle
- PostgreSql

Good luck!

Codercozz

Codercozz

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

To be a good web developer you really need to know three key things:

• How to research
  • How to listen
  • How to properly write code

For a great start you can play on the many sites like codeacademy or my first was : http://www.freecodecamp.com

Also a great reference site is : http://www.w3schools.com

The main thing is learning the correct ways to code. There are many poeple who can code but only a hnadful who code properly.

Best of luck and this is an awesome field.

Edited by Codercozz, 16 November 2015 - 05:40 PM.

sethandrews

sethandrews

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Olivia,

Becoming a good Web developer often means years of hard work.  You can certainly start with HTML, CSS and bits of JavaScript, so don't let the "years of hard work" discourage you.

I agree with previous suggestions such as w3schools.com and especially making use of their Try It Yourself feature.  You can mod the code and styles a bit and see what the result looks like immediately.  A good, fast way to learn the basics.

When starting out, you might like to try getting really good at setting up WordPress sites and others.  Then you have something to tinker with, modify and work with.  A text editor, some HTML and CSS is not enough any more for a professional Web developer.  It might be a good idea to get really "armed and dangerous" with CMS systems, and consult for clients that way, and practise your Photoshop-fu.

In the mean time, you can set up a safe dev environment to learn PHP, database design and applications that use databases.  Downloading packages like WAMP/MAMP/XAMMP are a nice option to start with.  You can put your code and designs in there, start with database basics, snippets of example code, and test by browsing to http://localhost/.

There's no really easy answer to the question.  You might like to drop PHP and use Python or Ruby instead, or develop Web apps with .NET.  If you're going to be a Web designer, focus there and team up with others who configure servers, write the code and work on the databases, if you aim to provide a more complete Web Development service.

Since at least some of the time customers may be involved in commerce, you should have a knowledge of basic information security.  The OWASP top ten list is a good place to start.  You don't by any means need to develop a speciality here, but be aware of the issues.  Businesses that raise revenue almost entirely or exclusively on the Web are likely to be vulnerable.  So even though you might specialize in Web design, having a good knowledge of the whole picture is useful.  A lot of successful Web designers and developers work in teams that way.

Edited by sethandrews, 03 December 2015 - 07:02 PM.

RonWesley

RonWesley

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Skills Every Web Developer Should Have

1. Basic technical skills - HTML, CSS, Javascript, Server side of choice

2. Reliability - how to manage your time, how to grind, how to plan projects effectively

3. Communication- Committing to it, Disciplined to do it consistently, Courage to do it when it's hard, Talent to do it effectively

4. How to market yourself - freelance - how to develop a system for getting clients, hired - how to get and ace interviews, app - how to sell your apps

5. How to learn- everything is always changing, embrace it and dive in

Rachel Collier

Rachel Collier

• Pip
  • 1 posts

First thing to do to become a web developer is knowing what web development actually is. Becoming a good developer is not an easy task. Here are some of the skills needed to become a good developer.

1. Must-Have Coding Knowledge - HTML and CSS are the building blocks of all web development and used by every web developer.

2. Beyond the basics - HTML and CSS are used as the raw materials of web development. You must identify the languages you'll need to accomplish the kind of projects you need to build.

3. Become a master researcher - Essential skill for a good developer is to find the solid information about the language you are coding in. You don't need to know all the answers, you have the google.

These are the skills you need to develop so that you can have a great foundation for becoming a good developer.