Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good tools for Techs?

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Hey all!

I've been out of the software troubleshooting world for so long...I felt very behind while working on my wife's computer.  What kind of tools do tech's use these days for general troubleshooting & maintenance?  To give you an idea of what I know & still use:

• CCleaner
  • DiskCheckup
  • HijackThis
  • PC Decrapifier
  • Procmon
  • Recuva
  • SpaceSniffer
  • Hiren's Boot CD (is this still maintained??  Is there a better diagnostic boot CD around?)

Also, I thought I remember a "here's the general maintenance you should do on your computer" topic around here?  Still exists?

Thanks!!

Advertisements

Lucky123

Lucky123

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Here are some that seem popular now and days:
  • Glary Utilities
  • DrWeb LiveDisk
  • O&O Defrag

Most of the tools in your list seems to be used now and days also, accept HijackThis isn't really ideal to use in most situations anymore.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
HJT is pretty much discontinued so I wouldn't use it anymore. I don't know if Hiren's BootCD is allowed on GTG (at least, it's not on BleepingComputer due to legal issues). And it depends what kind of maintenance you're talking about to be honest. If you're talking about clean-up and optimization, do you want Antimalware/malware removal tools as well?

Also, do not use Glary Utilities, these programs are completely useless, even dangerous to use.

Lucky123

Lucky123

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

HJT is pretty much discontinued so I wouldn't use it anymore. I don't know if Hiren's BootCD is allowed on GTG (at least, it's not on BleepingComputer due to legal issues). And it depends what kind of maintenance you're talking about to be honest. If you're talking about clean-up and optimization, do you want Antimalware/malware removal tools as well?

Also, do not use Glary Utilities, these programs are completely useless, even dangerous to use.

They are not useless nor or they dangerous.

If you are going to make a claim as such at least provide proof or evidence.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:
  • Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (in-built);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry (in-built);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (in-built), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller have a portable version you can use;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: Procexp (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair Hard Drive issues: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (in-built);
Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.

Relevant articles:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Well as they say, the right tool for the right job.  I've used a few PC Booster/Tune Up programs in my day with very minimal problems.  None close to being called worse than malware, but I always read the manual and made sure to understand all that it would do before running it (or else, found another one that was more open about what it was doing).  For those that don't do that, or understand computer...yeah, they can be quite dangerous.

And yeah, any program that advertises it will "solve all your problems" is a red flag.  Back in the day, Advanced SystemCare was pretty awesome...used it on many different computers for a quick clean & tweak.  Don't know how it performs today, but Snapfiles.com reports that it installs 3rd party junk. So...  ;-/

If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong.

You're absolutely right.  But there are tools (Who Crashed) that really help with diagnosing such problems.  I'm looking for other advanced Tech tools...like Who Crashed.  So if you have any more goodies, I'm all ears.  ;-)

Good articles, good info.  I'm diggin Process Hacker. :-)

And thanks Lucky123 for DrWeb LiveDisk...I'm gonna check that out.

Ok so HJT is old and outdated, which is why it barely works on Win7, but it did help out a few times.  From what I can see, it looks like Farbar Recovery Scan Tool is the closest equivalent, correct?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
There's still FRST, OTL and DDS (but DDS doesn't do scripting hence the name) that are now the new generation of HJT. FRST is the most up to date however. Also you know that FRST should only be used when you've been trained for it or under the supervision of a trained malware removal professional but judging by your title I'm sure you know that :tongue:

Yeah but WhoCrashed doesn't really fix anything, it only helps you understand the issue so it's far from being a "one button fix" program. If you like WhoCrashed, install and setup WinDbg and learn to use it, it helps a lot to diagnose BSODs.

http://www.sevenforu...ging-tools.html

If you want I have a website where I host my canneds for the fixes I post, and I have some for a few tools. Maybe you can check them out and see if you like them?

https://sites.google...edspeeches/home

Edit: I'm constantly updating that website. Two new canneds at least will be added tomorrow :P I work a lot with Windows in-built tools too.

Edited by Aura, 31 March 2015 - 07:05 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Yeah I had a little training with HJT back in the day.  Never completed the training, but got enough to knowledge to fix up computers that I physically work on.  FRST looks very similar, just lots more detail.  In any case, I haven't done much malware removal lately, but I do like to be prepared.  ;-)

Cool site!  I see a few tools I want to check out.  :-)  I might have to give Windows Repair AIO a try on my sister's computer.  Strangest thing...she can't print to 1 of the 2 printers at my parent's house.  Won't even ping it!  And yet my parent's computer sees it just fine.  I noticed my sister's computer had the family network in the "Public" zone, but changing that didn't help.  But I digress from my original topic.   :prop:

Thanks for the tool suggestions!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem if you need anything else feel free to ask :)