Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not sure where my problem lies.

• Please log in to reply

atumak

atumak

• Pip
  • 9 posts

A few months ago my computer (Gateway FX6801-09h) went haywire after a power outage. It would constantly cause fragmentation when doing anything intensive, whether it gaming or simply watching a youtube video. Up until the power outage it would run games fine on full graphics. After a week or two of me just dealing with it and sitting through it I started getting Bluescreens and shutdowns, unfortunately I don't have any of the codes that it presented but a google search of the codes told me that it was either video card related or memory related. I had a list of about 5 diff codes as it seemed to be a new one each time. I fiddled around with the memory, testing each stick individually to see if it would solve the problem. No solutions. I took out the video card and put an old one in to see if that would help but it still didn't. After placing the original video card back in I couldn't even get a start-up beep (post?) and no visuals. The fans are all running and the video card has a few green lights on it but no-go. It is working enough with the older card that I am able to write this from it. So the system seems to be working but I am still getting lines across the screen randomly. Not sure whether to buy a new video card, mobo, psu, or ram. Heres the specs:

- Intel Core i7 920 with 2.66 GHz D0 processor
- Gateway X58 Motherboard
- 12GB 1333Mhz DDR3 Triple Channel Memory (6 sticks of 2GB)
- nVidia GeForce GTX 285 1GB (Currently using an ATI Radeon X1900)
- 1TB 16MB SATA2 Hard Drive
- 750 Watt power supply

Id appreciate any input on the problem and thanks for your time!

If any bluescreens happen in the meantime I will reply with them.
EDIT>> Just pushed it into bluescreen by opening up a game, got the error code 0x00000024.
EDIT2> Two more lockups, requiring resets. One just while using chrome and the other while running a game.

Forgot to mention that I cleaned the video card out (AFTER it wouldn't post) and there was a bit of build up in there but not enough to stop the fans or anything.

Edited by atumak, 28 March 2015 - 02:26 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   atumak,

Can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the 750W power supply.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with more information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

atumak

atumak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi, thanks Phil!

The PSU is from Delta Electronics Inc. (Delta) 

model number :GPS-750AB A

Heres my speccy data:

http://speccy.pirifo...5cPDppcCUhsWtnP

Shouldn't be any malware or anything on the system as it has been freshly reformatted but there could be.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi atumak,

Thanks for the update and you are welcome  :thumbsup:

Your MB has two PCI-E X16 slots, have you tried the replacement video card in the second slot.

The one hardware concern in your Speccy report is the output from the PSU, predominantly the +12V rail being too high and the +3.3V rail being too low, too much juice will heat things up and cause artifacts etc and not enough as on the +3.3V rail that among other things powers pci-e and memory slots you will get poor video quality and stability issues, some info on the voltages and what they should be below, blue is ok and red needs checking;

Voltage
CPU CORE: 1.120 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 0.928 V
+3.3V: 1.040 V
+5V: 5.027 V
+12V: 13.248 V

Your temps look ok in the report but keep in mind that the computer is not under load as it is when gaming or watching videos etc.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

** Windows should be fully updated and an appropriate AV software installed asap, preferably after posting the Speedfan and HWMonitor info for us.

atumak

atumak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hello again Phil, sorry for the delay. Here are the pictures of speedfan and HWMonitor. Thanks for being so clear on what to do.

EDIT>> By the time I posted this Speedfan showed 91C for temp1.

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMonitor.png
  • Speedfan.png

Edited by atumak, 02 April 2015 - 01:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No worries you have at least returned  :thumbsup:

HWMonitor and Speedfan are both showing that your MB is overheating + the same bad PSU output readings reported by Speccy

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

BTW, As reported by HWMonitor, TMPIN 0 = MB and Temp1 by Speedfan.

atumak

atumak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Yea things are looking pretty heated in here :P. Its a fairly cool day too.

CPU     Temp: 20°C / 68°F

System Temp: 28°C / 82°F

CPU Fan Speed: 1113 RPM

SYS Fan Speed: 1022 RPM

CPU Core: 1.136V

+1.1V:        1.120V

+3.3V:        3.245V

+5.0V:        4.847V

+12 V:        11.790V

5VSB:         5.080V

VBAT:         3.088V

Edited by atumak, 03 April 2015 - 02:55 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Those readings look ok but as mentioned the computer is not under any load when only in the BIOS.

Not that it will explain the bad display problem but can you see if there are any dump files for the crashes in case they are connected;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

atumak

atumak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hey phil, there was only one file in /minidump. Hopefully it helps.

If you need me to load some games or videos to force some crashes or something I can do that too.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Two possible causes of the crash are HDD corruption and bad memory, the following from your crash dump raw stack contents may point more towards the memory though;

fffff880`033539d8 fffff800`03000880 nt!NonPagedPoolDescriptor

Speccy shows that you have 12GB of Ram and that the Total Virtual Memory (this is the pagefile) is set at 24GB, this is too large as for best performance it should only equal 1.5 Xs the amount of physical memory meaning that the pagefile should only be 18GB, this may not resolve the issue but it is a step in the right direction + you can do it without going online while you have no anti virus software protecting your computer, see steps below;

1. Open System by clicking the Start button  , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2. In the left pane, click Advanced system settings.   If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.
5. Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.
6. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
7. Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.

Speccy does not detect a known brand of Ram, can you tell us what it is.

Other important things that I suggest that you do and in the following order;

1:Install Windows 7 SP1 and all other important Windows updates.

2: Download and install a good, free AV, either Avast! free Antivirus to the bottom left here or MSE from here

3: Run Chkdsk /r 

Go to Start in the searchfield;

Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...

It may appear to hang at a certain percent for an hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...

DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS

This can take several hours to complete. and when completed it will hopefully boot the system back into Windows.

JFYI: Testing the Ram has not been suggested in the above steps as you have already gone some way to doing so, if it is required I will provide detailed steps for you to follow to test the Ram.

Additionally, from my reply #4

Your MB has two PCI-E X16 slots, have you tried the replacement video card in the second slot.

If only to rule out a bad PCI-E slot, has this been tried, if yes what happened.

Advertisements

atumak

atumak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hey Phil, sorry getting back to you late  again, work life gets in the way sometimes. Changed the memory capacity and I am about to run chkdsk in a few minutes. I did attempt to use the bottom pci-e slot but it didn't work with my better video card. When I use the second slot do I use the same cables (1-2) to provide power or do I use the other ones(3-4); or does it not matter? I'm assuming 3-4 is just if I am running two cards.

The ram brand appears to be ELPIDA but might be Kingston bought. S/N: is KN2GBB0H006......... but all the little black chips say Elpida on them.

Edited by atumak, 10 April 2015 - 02:50 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem and thanks for getting back to us  :thumbsup:

Other important things that I suggest that you do and in the following order;

1:Install Windows 7 SP1 and all other important Windows updates.

2: Download and install a good, free AV, either Avast! free Antivirus to the bottom left here or MSE from here

3: Run Chkdsk /r 

Changed the memory capacity and I am about to run chkdsk in a few minutes.

We will wait on an update from you regarding the above.

I did attempt to use the bottom pci-e slot but it didn't work with my better video card. When I use the second slot do I use the same cables (1-2) to provide power

Ordinarily the same power cables, at least to begin with but if your PSU has 4 PCI-E 6 or 6+2 pin connectors trying 3 and 4 would do no harm.

Elpida is a well known brand of Ram from years back and is now a part of the Micron group, not bad but not brilliant either.

atumak

atumak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Sorry I forgot to add, it says I am running SP1 and I installed MSE and ran a full scan, no results.

I ran Chkdsk and I am assuming nothing was found? I saw it at stage 2/5 before I had to go out. Came back and my computer was in the login menu. I'm assuming it restarts after finishing? Still same problems as before. 

I have tried the second pci-e slot with both types of cables, no change in results. I could test the memory again with some help. Don't know if my process of elimination method of testing them was a good way of doing it.

If Chkdsk is supposed to stay open after finishing or something I might have to run it again. Hopefully it didn't shutdown during.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Can you post an updated Speccy url for us please.

Your Chkdsk results suggest that Windows and the HDD are ok.

We will provide steps for testing the Ram once we have the new Speccy report to look at.

BTW: The Ram and/or the PSU are now looking more likely as being the cause.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard from you for a while atumak, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.