Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble opening PNG images after downloading/saving them to pc

• Please log in to reply

Humming8ird

Humming8ird

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I'm looking for some help. I work in Paint Shop Pro 9 on Windows 8.1.  I'm having an issue saving and then opening png images. I right click to save them, but when I go to open them I cannot open them in any programs that I have. I've tried Windows photo viewer, paint, paint shop pro, and I always get a message that either: "it is not a valid png file" or "there was a problem sending the command to the program" (paint shop pro 9).

When I save it from the online page, I just right click and save, I tried to "save file type as" it only gives the option to save it as "all file types". Unlike when I had Windows XP I could choose: png, jpeg, gif............etc.

Can you tell me why this is happening and what I can do to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Debbie

Attached Thumbnails

• Image1.jpg
  • png error msg2.jpg

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Are you sure they are ,png files? Try renaming to .jpg as a test.

Also, try dragging the file from the web page to the desktop with the left mouse button, see what that does for you.

Humming8ird

Humming8ird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Are you sure they are ,png files? Try renaming to .jpg as a test.

Also, try dragging the file from the web page to the desktop with the left mouse button, see what that does for you.

Nothing changes, tried renaming the .png's (double checked and they are png images). They will not open up for me in anything program.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Can you zip up one of the .png files and attach here so I can try it?

Also provide a link to a web page you save a .png file from?

Humming8ird

Humming8ird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Sure, here's a png file image I just saved to my desk top

Tigar%20Lily.png

I downloaded it from: http://bamacreations...-Bama-July-2011

Same thing happens, but if I right click on it, and click - "View image info" then copy and paste image location into browser, click to view image, then save it to pc... it works. I'm able to open it in different programs.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Interesting. When I copied the png to mu desktop then tried to open it I get this error message:

PNGerror.jpg

Yet it displays okay here in the forum.

If I click on Save at bottom right:

PNGerror1.jpg

I end up at Photobucket here: http://s273.photobuc...r Lily.png.html

If I then right click on the png and use Save image as I can then open the saved png with no problem.

Just a guess but maybe these png images have something in them to prevent copying?

Humming8ird

Humming8ird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Interesting. When I copied the png to mu desktop then tried to open it I get this error message:

attachicon.gifPNGerror.jpg

Yet it displays okay here in the forum.

If I click on Save at bottom right:

attachicon.gifPNGerror1.jpg

I end up at Photobucket here: http://s273.photobuc...r Lily.png.html

If I then right click on the png and use Save image as I can then open the saved png with no problem.

Just a guess but maybe these png images have something in them to prevent copying?

These png's are put up so that they can be copied and made into tags by members of that forem.

I know I don't have this problem when using Windows XP, it's only on my Windows 8.1 that I have this problem.

Even png's I've saved previously to a flash drive do this in Windows 8.1.

I was beginning to think that I'm missing something in Windows 8 in order to avoid this issue.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I have 8.1 Pro X64 and I see the same error. Can you try the steps I listed:

right click on the png and use Save image as

Humming8ird

Humming8ird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I have 8.1 Pro X64 and I see the same error. Can you try the steps I listed:

right click on the png and use Save image as

That's how I always save my images. I right click and save as. I see on Windows 8.1 that the only option I have is to save image as: all files. And still once it's saved, I cannot open. Tells me it's not a valid png image, which if you click on image properties, it tells you it's a png. I even tried saving a png image from my photobucket account and same thing.

I'll search and see if I can find another site to download a png image and see how that goes. Maybe it's issues with that forum / and or photobucket.

Humming8ird

Humming8ird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Checked that out and same thing on other websites. Strange, like I said I never had this problem with windows XP... :no: