Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Leak?

• Please log in to reply

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello hello!

Over the past few days I've noticed my PC has been bogging down significantly for unexplained reasons. No hardware changes, no new software, no extra processes rubbing than usual, etc. However, I have noticed that the longer my PC is left running the more memory is used and held onto with a vice-like grip. Killing processes does little to nothing to alleviate the problem. The only thing that does help is restarting the PC. Too bad this is only a temporary solution. I'm wondering if a driver has started to leak memory or something. Admittedly, this is the first time I've ever had something like this happen so I'm not too sure what I should be looking out for. How can I check?

Thanks!

Advertisements

easyday

easyday

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Have you tried using a memory manager? I use the free CleanMem. http://www.snapfiles...t/cleanmem.html

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Have you tried using a memory manager? I use the free CleanMem. http://www.snapfiles...t/cleanmem.html

That's a neat tool, but I'm not quite sure it does what I need it to. It doesn't release memory that is in use and my problem seems to be memory is constantly being eaten by something. It also doesn't seem to really display what is using memory, just an overall "this is how much memory is being used" bar.

Maybe I'm using it wrong, I don't know.

easyday

easyday

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

. . . doesn't seem to really display what is using memory . . .

Your computer Task Manager will display what's using the memory, and how much.

Right-click the taskbar and click Start Task Manager. Click Processes tab\ Memory column head.