Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't start for no obvious reason

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday,

Yes, please do let us know what the PC store does to effect a repair.

Advertisements

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

I've got news from the store.
The two memory slots are ruined beyond repair. They found no indication that the MB is going to short circuit a HDD but they cannot guarantee that it won't happen tommorow. To cut a long story short, they told me what you already told me. "Don't trust it, back up your HDDs".

I think the wiser thing for me to do is to look for a replacement. My computer meets my needs, I just need a new compatible MB and/or maybe a new CPU (I have no hope of finding a cheap AM2). But I am not capable of choosing it myself. Do you think I could find help here, on the "Hardware" section of the forum?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I don't think you will find a new AM2 MB.   You would have to look for used ones and I just looked for past month listings on Google for your exact MB, non available.

Changing for a different model or brand means that you may need to reactivate the OS because the original OS activation is tied to the first MB it is installed on.

You may be lucky an activation happens without a hitch, but if activation is stopped, you will need to contact Microsoft and explain why you changed the MB, this is not usually a problem as they will give you another product code key to activate the new OS installation.

All a bit of a pain.

I did find one Hybrid board, taking both DDR2 and DDR3, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157581you would still need to go through the reactivation process.

I would make do and consider building a new computer. 

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

I started a new thread yesterday http://www.geekstogo...d/#entry2494993
I'm not sure if it's ok to discuss it here or move the posts there.

Anyway, I cannot build a new computer because I'm really short of money. But this is the third time I come across this motherboard and I already found it in a local store at a very affordable price. It looks like it meets all my needs. It supports Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core, my DDR2 800 cards, has USB 2.0 ports and 4 SATAII connectors. I can connect everything I have now with no problems but still leaves me room for a future upgrade. Right?

The only thing I'm not sure about is the power connectors.

I don't mind the OS activation trouble, it's the least that can happen. :D

Edited by anarxaki, 17 April 2015 - 02:46 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Is the board you found locally the same model as linked on Newegg?   Power connections should not be a problem as they are mostly standard ones. 

I posted on your other topic.