Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Will Not Load: Black Screen After Startup Repair

• Please log in to reply

sweetjayne

sweetjayne

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Problem:  Windows 7 cannot complete startup following a freeze-up which required a manual restart.

Background:  I was running Sims 3, which locked up.  I alt-tab to Windows, try to run taks manager, and the whole thing locked up.  Then I did a manual restart.

Details:  Once computer powers on, it goes straight to an error screen which allows two options: start windows normally, and complete system repair (recommended).    Neither option gets me anywhere.

When I select System Repair, I get a "loading files" bar along the bottom, which completes.  Then, a little green bar flashes for a second, and then the screen goes black.  I wait a few minutes (it doesn't sound like anything is happening) and then I restart the computer.

When I select a normal start it says : Loading windows, I get the windows logo, and then it freezes there.  I then restart.

And so on...

I do not have a System Repair disk for this computer. (Because I am an idiot.)

F8 does not fo anything at startup.

Edited by sweetjayne, 05 April 2015 - 07:13 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   sweetjayne,

Apologies for the delay  :(

Is there any data on the HDD that you would like to try and back up in case the hard drive has issues.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) this to see if you may have a recovery partition on the HDD.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page.