Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Explorer Appears to Reset when waking from Screensaver

• Please log in to reply

tigger3370

tigger3370

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Hi. Every time I move my mouse to turn my laptop screen back on, all the icons on the toolbar have disappeared and my Chrome shuts down. The icons come back when I hover my mouse over where they are supposed to be. When I open Chrome, it says it shut down unexpectedly, but there is no listing in it's crash log.

I have a HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64x Service Pack 1

With an Intel Core i5 450M

Any help would be appreciated to track down what is causing this issue. Let me know if you need any further info.

Jason

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello tigger3370,

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Finally back in town and trying your suggestion.

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I ran it and I'll let you know if it fixed the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Jason

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are welcome and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Ok. So far, it doesn't seem to be shutting down any windows when I wake it from the screen saver/screen off mode. However, it is still "refreshing" explorer. By that, I mean everything on the taskbar disappears until I run the mouse over them. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

OK. It shut Chrome down again last night. I downloaded and ran Speccy and here is the link: http://speccy.pirifo...mM2TBxRtjVpEf6l

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Speccy shows that Windows has never been updated since it was installed, any ideas as to why!

254.pngOperating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Computer type: Notebook

Installation Date: 5/30/2011 7:04:04 PM

Hotfixes

Installed

4/17/2015 Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.195.3573.0)
Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect

spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have

installed this item, it cannot be removed.

Not Installed

It will take a good while to do but all important Windows 7 updates need to be downloaded and installed, once done post a new Speccy reports for us please.

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

My computer is completely up to date with only one optional update, intel display, to install. I have no idea why it would say that it has never been updated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Most odd  :headscratch:

Change of approach then;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to:  http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/default.asp

Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information  :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to here

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

OK. I'm trying to run the test and get the results. I'm having an issue in that it keeps failing at the bandwidth test. It keeps timing out. Any suggestions? I'm connected to the internet fine and everything works ok online. I've even tried shutting down my firewall to see if that would help.

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I think I found a way to get the link without needing the rest of the tests.

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25781196

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Something is not right with Windows, click on the Software tab and then the Hot Fixes list here and it shows only 7 updates since May 2011;

• Please download WVCheck by Artellos from one of the mirrors below;

Artellos.com (exe)
    Artellos.com (zip)

• After the download, run WVCheck.exe
  • As indicated by the prompt, This program can take a while depending on your hard drive space.
  • Once the program is done, copy the contents of the notepad file as a reply.

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

The links to WVCheck don't appear to work. They take me to a reserved domain for trans ip.