Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer crashes radomly

Best Answer phillpower2 , 07 June 2015 - 04:49 PM

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Aura,

You know i thought i did give you a link, sorry here it is  http://www.eightforu...es-radomly.html

As said time will tell, it happened again once today april 15 same Devrtl.dll from C:\Windows folder caused the crash, see post on other site.

Noticed when it happened i was not doing anything, just looking at the screen, Blue circle spins, crash goes the explorer.

If first you do not succeed, try try again :headhurt:

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Tried ShellView, noticed CCleaner did not even disable Nero even though it shows it did in CCleaner. So i did it in shellview see what happens, may try one at a time or all at once, not sure what's best.

ShellView i did not find a way to show you what is there except an HTML report, but unable to post that here.

Edited by jds63, 16 April 2015 - 01:04 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

This crash it becoming bit frustrating as it can happen only once or twice. Sometimes not happen for days. O.k. today after disabling a Nero shell extension yesterday it has not done it, but the same when it does not do it for days, so who knows yet. :upset:

" Patience is a Virtue "  :D 

Edited by jds63, 16 April 2015 - 01:08 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You could always reinstall Nero and see if it still crashes after leaving it enabled, or continue to wait for a few days and see if Windows Explorer keeps on crashing :P

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

You could always reinstall Nero and see if it still crashes after leaving it enabled, or continue to wait for a few days and see if Windows Explorer keeps on crashing :P

Yeah, someone here told me to uninstall it too, Nero. We are still not sure it is the culprit. Waiting is the hardest part !! Like to jump right in and fix it, sometimes get over anxious.

Like waiting in a doctors office for test results .  :whistling:

Edited by jds63, 16 April 2015 - 02:15 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

So far since april 15 no crashes on disabling the Nero Extension.  Some updates for Gigabyte software on PC also and mentioned some Windows updates past days. Just to update you on how it is going,ty.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Looks good to me. I know Nero but never really used it, but I know it comes as OEM software on a lot of system.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Looks good to me. I know Nero but never really used it, but I know it comes as OEM software on a lot of system.

Yeah even though it played this game with me before of not doing it for few days then "Bam" it did it again. So we will see, because there were times i was just looking at screen not doing anything and it would happen.

Nero i bought full version 2015 platinum. If it is this program, either i will live without the extension or remove it altogether and find one equal to all it does in buring an authoring discs.

Edited by jds63, 17 April 2015 - 04:51 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Well after few days of no explorer crash it happened last night. Today it happened again, not too long after a boot up, this is when it usually happens, first hour or so on.

When i looked at the crash in Event Viewer same Devrtl.dll faulting app.

Also seen another error in Event viewer due to not being able to start a service called Epson Scanner service which runs automatic in services.msc.

There is also software application named Epson scanner setting, when i tried testing it, explorer crashed. Usually and i should have known this, can't test it with the Epson All-one Printer on.

As we been talking about trying the clean boot of Windows 8.1 to narrow down a startup and running service that may cause this issue, i felt to set Epson Scanner service from Autmatic to Manual for now.

This is to see if it is truly the issue casuing crash of explorer since happened today when i tested it.

Thinking before if not mentioned here that this issue happened before i happen to have to do a clean install of Windpws 8.1 because of another problem i had. Now this leading a tech in Eight-Forums to believe this is a hardware issue making him tell me to do diagnostic test on each hardware.

My thoughts on it, still may be due to software, drivers or shell extension, because even when i did a clean install i have used all same software as before, nothing was added or changed.

At Eight-forums i have not had a response in a week there, i just keep adding what has been going on with issue, what i have done so far.

Edited by jds63, 19 April 2015 - 01:49 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Explorer crashes still happening even from disabling which i though might of been issue Epson Scanner service and Nero Shell Extension. Have to try other services plus shell extensions.

Problem is the issue happens maybe once or twice can be long span of time between sometimes not at all somedays. Making it hard, meaning could need keep certain services or extensions disabled for quite sometime to narrow it down.

Used all DISM commands to check, scan and restore health. Used SFC none of this find anything or help.Not sure which services or extensions to exactly try next.

Keep plugging away !! 

Edited by jds63, 20 April 2015 - 02:34 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I have just recently tried this other program i remember it being good, Autoruns. I said before i disabled the only Nero Extension i saw in Nir Soft's ShellView. Here it still shows with even more of them, i even disabled some others to one from ACDSee Pro, again still show in Autoruns. Wonder if you can shed some light on this for me, here is the explorer tab in Autoruns. Finally removed that pesky Logitech Download Assistant with Autoruns from startup, even by shutting off in software thing still ran at boot, just thought might be one of my issues.Rebooted, Autoruns shows it still off (logitech one).

To me since this occurs not long after i boot up then it pretty much stops after the PC is on after awhile, makes me think it is some startup item, running process and even something that checks for updates or some other thing, like optimizing and just runs at begining. Now if it happened after 6 or so hours of being on i would not feel same about this thought. Meaning of course it's possible it is not a Shell Extension, but worth trying all of course. :headscratch:

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by jds63, 20 April 2015 - 08:31 PM.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Sorry to interrupt I notice you use Nividia GPU as I had the same problem you are describing. I solved mine after many weeks of pain by deleting all Nividia GPU drivers and re-installing an earlier version since then no more windows explorer crashing, like you say mins all so happened randomly which made it so difficult to diagnose as you think you have found it and boom it happens again. I hope this is of some help and maybe the answer for you.

Again apologies for interrupting you.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Sorry to interrupt I notice you use Nividia GPU as I had the same problem you are describing. I solved mine after many weeks of pain by deleting all Nividia GPU drivers and re-installing an earlier version since then no more windows explorer crashing, like you say mins all so happened randomly which made it so difficult to diagnose as you think you have found it and boom it happens again. I hope this is of some help and maybe the answer for you.

Again apologies for interrupting you.

No problem advice and ideas are always welcome. Yes it's been frustrating, there has been updates in the past months for NVIDIA as this was happening. Every month since begining of the year One in Jan, Feb., March, April and May, i usually do save last one or two update in case. Tried reinstalling the driver, also did it on last update and so on. Yes many thoughts would be the graphics card, as i also stressed tested it  and it passed.

Edited by jds63, 21 April 2015 - 01:46 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Shellview and Autoruns does not seem to work well for me, maybe it's Windows 8.1. As some frustrations is building on this issue that happens once or twice a day or sometimes not at all, making it hard to determine cause and wait on each item I shut off or disable. I was told also believing it was Nero Platinum and to uninstall it, as attempts to disable it's shell extensions did not go well. Nero to uninstall will leave many leftovers having me look in registry for them, Nero clean tool no longer works for newer versions. Possibility I may not put this software back on again.

My decision now even though this occurred at times before after doing a clean install on Windows 8.1,but not since I had the PC.

I really think this may be caused by a program it's software drivers, it's running service and a possible context extension. Since I had pretty much all the same software and devices as before the reinstall.

I have now done another clean install of the OS.  This time I will monitor it for awhile before I put each software back on system, only drivers will go on are required for system others will wait till I know everything is good.

So far all I have is the Graphics card software and drivers, network driver, AHCI Controller drivers, intel chipset drivers, intel management engine interface and some of important windows updates on system now, bare essentials. So far no crashes as of yet (again I will monitor it for awhile).  Also made system restore points before and after anything I did.

This will tell me if any hardware failure is causing it as some say it could be.Let's See how it goes as I know this can be as tedious as before, in some ways a bit easier !! Post back. 

Edited by jds63, 21 April 2015 - 09:03 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

It may be long winded JD but yours is the correct approach  :thumbsup:

Once you decide it is time to reinstall third party software start with what you use the most and leave the least used until last.

NB: I would also stick with Windows Defender and Firewall for now.