Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

motherboard speaker silent

no beep code on boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Puddytat70

Puddytat70

• Pip
  • 8 posts

My PC boots normally and runs normally but has no beep codes during boot-up, I looked at the device manager and it shows that no driver is installed for system speaker.  I have done a clean re-install of Windows XP Home a couple of months ago, and would like to get the beep codes working again if possible.  How can I accomplish this?  Thanks, puddytat70.  

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What is the make and full model number of the computer?

If it's not a pre-built OEM version then what is the make and full model number of the system board?

Do you have SP3 plus all updates installed? If yes, right click on the System speaker in Device Manager and try Update Driver Software.

Puddytat70

Puddytat70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The PC is a Cyberpower, bulit to my specs,  the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P.  I have already tried your other suggestion about updating driver, it fails and says cannot complete update or something similar.  Thanks,  puddytat70

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Have you installed all three of these, starting with the Chipset? http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3010#dl

Gigabyte drivers.jpg

Puddytat70

Puddytat70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I have installed all except the RealTek audio drivers.  This is what I have always done before when having  re-install Windows, and I have never had this problem before, the PC always functioned normally with beep code when booting up, this silence on boot up has never happened before and I always use the same routine.  I have a Creative X-Fi sound card and it uses the same resources as the Real Tek HD audio and if both are installed it will cause major problems on boot-up. Thanks, Puddytat70

Puddytat70

Puddytat70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Perhaps I should try a different approach, where can I find a driver for the motherboard speaker for a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P motherboard?  I believe that will solve the problem.  Thank you, puddytat70

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try removing the Creative sound card, see if it works then.

Puddytat70

Puddytat70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I would like to close this topic, no solution, but I think this string is going down the wrong road. puddytat70

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Thinking about this it just dawned on me that Windows is not involved in the boot time beeps, that's strictly hardware. To test this, disconnect the hard drive then remove the memory. When it starts to boot you should get get some beeping.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Rich,

Duplicate topic post on Hardware, Components and Peripherals forums, thread here

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Locking this thread as OP has switched to Hardware, Components and Peripherals.