Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfering Files between two hard drives

• Please log in to reply

Padriko

Padriko

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alrighty. I have a corrupted Windows XP on one hard drive. I want to save the files from this hard drive which are important to me (pictures, stories, drawings, etc), put them onto a blank hard drive with Windows XP on it, and then format the hard drive I just took them off of. Then, I want to reverse it, and put them BACK onto the same hard drive after I install Windows XP onto it again.

Now, there's a small problem here. On the hard drive I'm taking them off of, I can not get into Windows. Not normally or in safe mode. This is a reason (along with viruses and a few registry errors) that I want to do this. How do I get them from this corrupt hard drive to the empty one?

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
This can be done with a Linux Live CD.

Here is a tutorial using a specific distro called Suse:

http://www.itsyourpc...1564/33301.html

Padriko

Padriko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Off of that site:

Things you will need: A computer with internet broadband connection, a DVD burner and CD/DVD burning software, and an understanding of that software.

I do not have a CD/DVD burner.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Do you have the XP disc?

You can try making a boot disc -> http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

Padriko

Padriko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have the XP disc, yes.

All I'm trying to do is avoid losing a varying amount of personal files on this hard drive. If there's just a way to drag these files (Most of which are in My Documents in various subfolders) onto the hard drive I just formatted, then back on, this would work just fine. I do have the two hard drives to work with, afterall.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
You could try doing a repair install -> http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

Unfortunatley, you won't be able to transfer files if you can't boot into an OS. Using Linux to transfer or at least save files to a floppy is what I recommend, but as you don't have a burner, that isn't possible :tazz:

Padriko

Padriko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've already attempted a Repair Install. The C:\Windows\system32\Hal.dll remains corrupt even after successfully completing a repair install.

Padriko

Padriko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Any other ideas? Hopefully that don't force me to lose all my files?

bazcor

bazcor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
You could do it like this if I understand your problem:

1. Put the new hard drive into the computer and install XP on it.
2. Put the old hard drive into the machine as slave.
3. Copy over all the files onto the new drive.
4. Ghost the new drive to the old one using software from one of the drive manufacturers.

would that do it? ... Barry

Padriko

Padriko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm uncertain... I'm not a big techie, so I'd have to be run by on how to slave one to another.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Open up your case and on the back of the harddrive you should be able to change the jumper to slave according to what the jumper settings are for your harddrive (see computer manual).

Padriko

Padriko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I don't have a computer manual (bought it second hand. =/ ) What's a jumper?

Padriko

Padriko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Bumping to top. Anyone on how to make a Master/Slave?

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Take the drives out and look at them. On the top, there should be a diagram that tells you where to putt he jumper (the little black thingy that connects to copper thingys in between the power and cable thingys :tazz: )

Then, remove the black thingy and put it where it says to go...

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You should be able to just make the old drive a slave and directly copy any files you want over. But you can't copy any programs over that way because they have registry enties with them.

Edited by Tyger, 13 June 2005 - 06:19 PM.